Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I decided to sell my opel gt over the summer (Came across a svo mustang for a good price and wanted it a little more, and I couldn't have them both sadly.)

Well to make a long story short, I ended up saling it to a friend, that is now contemplating swapping a 2.3L turbo engine into it, and I told him that I would post on here for him about it.

So any info on this swap would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Sean

· Registered
149 Posts
Swaps are hard. It has been done, but it takes time and costs $$$. There are no kits. Innovation, research and determination prevail.

Why not turbo the Opel engine? That's a lot easier than doing a swap. Also, Eaton makes small blowers that can be adapted. Blower/turbo is easier than a swap.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I myself think it would be cool with an opel build up of somekind. Duel downdrafts on a opel 2.4l motor, but for the price of the motor alone, he could almost buy a 2.3l turbo ford and pay someone to install it for him.

I dont know what to tell him. I sold the car cause it was in such good physical shape, I mean it didn't have a spec of rust on it when I got it (cept for one little spot on the nose about 1/2" long), battery tray was still perfect, fenders and floors were perfect, plus it was originally british racing green (color changed) with buckskin interior, so it was a pretty decent car and I didn't want to cut it up to get more power so I let it go, and now the new owner wants more ower.

I hate to see the car cut up, but he has to do what he has to do.

Sean

· Registered
149 Posts
An EASY swap would cost about $3000 (labor) plus the parts. Motor mounts, tranny mounts, radiator,... nothing stock will work as-is. There are a lot of parts besides the engine and transmission.

This isn't nuts and bolts. Custom fab is expensive and modifying stock parts just is a little less. The 2.3L turbo adds stainless exhaust, FI and electronics beyond easy. Sorting out little stuff like u-joints and fuses takes time, and that time is "on the clock." There are lots of opportunities for the price to climb. Expect a lot of calls, "We found this problem and it'll take... ($$$)."

Plus, anything that doesn't work well isn't the shop's problem. They're not going to fix all the little things that may go wrong for free. And if the parts have a warranty (may be void due to application) replacing them will cost money - The shop won't warranty labor on purchased bad parts for custom work.

And none of this fixes the weak Opel rearend issue.

· Registered
6,344 Posts
I'll second that thought. I've been working almost daily on my V-6/T-5 mod for over a year and just got the engine/tranny package installed in the car. I can't give you an idea of cost, because I haven't kept real acurate records, but I'm over $3000 in parts alone. That's not counting the professional work that's been done, at their prices, with more to come. If the new owner wants to dirive this car soon, a different, other than Opel engine/tranny is not the way to go. Just my knowing what's involved, $.02

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.