Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I decided to sell my opel gt over the summer (Came across a svo mustang for a good price and wanted it a little more, and I couldn't have them both sadly.)

Well to make a long story short, I ended up saling it to a friend, that is now contemplating swapping a 2.3L turbo engine into it, and I told him that I would post on here for him about it.

So any info on this swap would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Sean

·
Registered
149 Posts
Swaps are hard. It has been done, but it takes time and costs $$$. There are no kits. Innovation, research and determination prevail.

Why not turbo the Opel engine? That's a lot easier than doing a swap. Also, Eaton makes small blowers that can be adapted. Blower/turbo is easier than a swap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I myself think it would be cool with an opel build up of somekind. Duel downdrafts on a opel 2.4l motor, but for the price of the motor alone, he could almost buy a 2.3l turbo ford and pay someone to install it for him.

I dont know what to tell him. I sold the car cause it was in such good physical shape, I mean it didn't have a spec of rust on it when I got it (cept for one little spot on the nose about 1/2" long), battery tray was still perfect, fenders and floors were perfect, plus it was originally british racing green (color changed) with buckskin interior, so it was a pretty decent car and I didn't want to cut it up to get more power so I let it go, and now the new owner wants more ower.

I hate to see the car cut up, but he has to do what he has to do.

Sean

·
Registered
149 Posts
An EASY swap would cost about $3000 (labor) plus the parts. Motor mounts, tranny mounts, radiator,... nothing stock will work as-is. There are a lot of parts besides the engine and transmission.

This isn't nuts and bolts. Custom fab is expensive and modifying stock parts just is a little less. The 2.3L turbo adds stainless exhaust, FI and electronics beyond easy. Sorting out little stuff like u-joints and fuses takes time, and that time is "on the clock." There are lots of opportunities for the price to climb. Expect a lot of calls, "We found this problem and it'll take... ($$$)."

Plus, anything that doesn't work well isn't the shop's problem. They're not going to fix all the little things that may go wrong for free. And if the parts have a warranty (may be void due to application) replacing them will cost money - The shop won't warranty labor on purchased bad parts for custom work.

And none of this fixes the weak Opel rearend issue.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I'll second that thought. I've been working almost daily on my V-6/T-5 mod for over a year and just got the engine/tranny package installed in the car. I can't give you an idea of cost, because I haven't kept real acurate records, but I'm over $3000 in parts alone. That's not counting the professional work that's been done, at their prices, with more to come. If the new owner wants to dirive this car soon, a different, other than Opel engine/tranny is not the way to go. Just my knowing what's involved, $.02

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Let's not forget the brakes and the rear axel either. Add that much HP and you NEED bigger brakes plus the rear end will not hold up over 200hp. Best have a good matched set of tires too.

I slapped a big engine into a stock opel back in 1982 without suspention or brake upgrades. I ended up wrecking two cars around that engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts