Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 1900 Sport Wagon with 4 speed manual in the fall and noticed it kept popping out of 4th and it was difficult to shift into 2nd.

I checked and did find the bolts to the bellhousing were loose. I retightened with locktite, changed the gear fluid.

I have been driving it for about a week now and it doesnt pop out of 4th anymore.

It is still very hard to shift into 2nd. It seems like a shifter issue. It never grinds and I can start it up no problem with the car in gear and the clutch pushed in.

All the other gears are easy to hit but the shifter just doesnt want to go over and down into 2nd gear. (about a quarter of the time it goes into 2nd no problem)

Parked or moving, engine on or off doesnt change anything.

Any suggestions?

ps The rear transmission seal leaks Ive noticed.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
When the transmission bolts loosen up, it leaks all the oil out quite quickly. Then the internal main shaft becomes worn, and the gear clusters can become kinda' attached to it. That will DEFINITELY make shifting difficult.

It might simply be an adjustment issue with the linkage, or it could be something more. Pretty difficult to diagnose on the internet.

I suggest that you try adjusting the linkage, and if that doesn't help, look for a replacement transmission, as they are quite easy to find, even around Ohio. HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts