Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this product in the Hemmings Classic car mag for June and wanted to know if any of you folks have used it?? It appears that it would be great for those of us that are doing work alone, and bleeding the breaks is one of those jobs that you need two folks to do it right.

Here is the web site. http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Tell me what you think it looks like it should work on the Opels!!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
benncojr said:
I found this product in the Hemmings Classic car mag for June and wanted to know if any of you folks have used it?? It appears that it would be great for those of us that are doing work alone, and bleeding the breaks is one of those jobs that you need two folks to do it right.

Here is the web site. http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Tell me what you think it looks like it should work on the Opels!!
Have them on three of my Opels. :) One of those "Why didn't I think of that!" items.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I tried them and didn't have a lot of luck. I ended up using a vacuum bleeder hand pump with a brake fluid reservoir attached to the pump to bleed mine. I think a few others have used them with better results than I had. Jarrell

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you remeber what part #

tekenaar said:
Have them on three of my Opels. :) One of those "Why didn't I think of that!" items.
Do you remember what part # you got and how much they were?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Speed Bleeder size

benncojr said:
Do you remember what part # you got and how much they were?
The ones I used were Russell P/N 3957 . . . because that's what was available to me locally at the time. Opel's size is: M7 x 1.0, 34mm long, BTW.

·
195 Posts
No fancy gadget necessary

Those speed bleeders are realy neat but not really necessary. A buddy of mine showed me a simple trick to bleed brakes with one person. Take an old brake fluid bottle (a decent size one) and put a hole in the top big enough to run rubber tubing through and make sure the tubing reaches the bottom of the bottle. Partially fill the bottle with some used brake fluid covering the tube opening in the bottle to create a vacuum. When you bleed your brakes just slip the other end of the tube (vacuum tubing works the best for a tight fit on the bleeder) over your bleed port and break it loose. Ensure your resevoir is full and then, starting with the brake furthest away from your master cylinder go pump your brake pedal several times. You push the air out of the system and all the old brake fluid but never pull air or old brake fluid back in. After the first one move to next furthest away until you do all four weels. Don't forget to monitor the level in your resevoir. Been doing it this way for years on all my cars and never had a problem. Simple and cheap!!!!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,839 Posts
Having bled brakes with the vacuum pump, the jar method (see above), and the 'helper working the pedal while you work the wrench' method, I have yet to find a completely satisfactory or always effective method.

One of the problems I run into, and this is one of the things the Speedbleeders take care of, is that depending on how far out you have to turn the bleeders to get fluid to flow, air can get in around the bleeder threads. Which also means that fluid can come out. The Speedbleeders seem to have a sealant of some sort on the threads to prevent this.

Having said this, I have yet to use the Speedbleeders.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Teflon tape on the bleed valve works great for this. The clear class jar allows the person puching on the brake pedal to look under the car and see when the bubbles stop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Speedbleeders

I have them on several of my vehicles and, I have to say, it makes brake bleeding a lot easier and cleaner. Easy job to do solo now. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts