Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving yesterday and all of a sudden the car started running like crap and losing power. It felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. And because of my recent problem with the MAS sensor, I thought "here we go again". I got to my destination and popped the hood. The #2 spark plug wire was dangling off of the spark plug! The metal nib on the spark plug had unscrewed itself and fallen off!!!

DAMN! Has anyone else had this happen? I always screw those things on as tight as possible by hand but maybe some Lock-tite is in order from now on.

Luckily, I was visiting another car of mine and the shop was able to find me another nib.

Anyways, just venting.

Manny

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
No Loctite Please!

Manny,

That happened to me in 1968 with some new plugs in a Midget Racing car! The driver stalled the car out and loaded up the plugs so I quickly swapped in a new set. Two laps later he was running on one less cylinder.

Now I always "tweek" the metal nib with a set of pliers. Loctite would introduce an insulator into the equation, so I don't think that is a good idea.

Pitty the Formula One mechanic who tapped the spark plug gap closed on the pit wall to get the gap right and did not notice that he had shattered the porcelain insulator! The moral is that spark plugs need as much care and attention as any other part. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Loose nib

Manny;
If you're using plugs that have an open end, i.e., they're drilled/threaded all the way through. You can snug the nib down dry, then take a drop of super glue and dab it on the end. Give it a minute to dry, then slip the spark wire back on. I don't think it'll back off again :D

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
A friend of my family has a new (C5) Corvette Convertible. We were all at a party last summer and he was lamenting the fact that the warranty had expired exactly the day before. This was a big issue because on his way there, the motor started to tick, as though a lifter or a rocker was misbehaving.

My father and I popped the hood, he started it up and we noticed a 3 inch arc from where a plug wire was dangling to the exhaust manifold. We reattached the wire, shut the hood, turned and said "yep, all fixed, it was a bad rocker, $1200 parts and labor".

He was smart enough to offer us a cold beer instead, we accepted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts