Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Classic hard brake pedal and have determined that the booster needs replacing. I ordered a new upgraded one from Opel GT Source. The question I have for those that have replaced theirs is is it possible to replace the booster without having to disconnect the lines and resivior from the master cylinder?

·
Can Opeler
3,208 Posts
Probably not. You have to move everything forward quite a bit to remove and install the booster. You can always try it though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
While you're at it, you might as well replace the booster hose and check valve, master cylinder, and rubber brake lines. Deteriorated brake lines, a leaky booster hose, or a bad master can also cause a hard pedal.

·
Über Genius
8,826 Posts
It's possible but I will never try it again.

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While you're at it, you might as well replace the booster hose and check valve, master cylinder, and rubber brake lines. Deteriorated brake lines, a leaky booster hose, or a bad master can also cause a hard pedal.
Did those about a year ago, should have done the booster then.

·
Super Moderator
8,153 Posts
IIRC, the MC can be removed without disconnecting the lines. All that is required is to remove the reservoir first. That's the part I'm a little fuzzy about. I replaced the booster last year on a GT without disconnecting the lines. The older I get the more difficult, for me anyway, it is to reinstall the brake lines.

Harold

·
Registered
218 Posts
Disconnect the brake lines, but bolt the MC to the booster and install as a unit. I did it recently and is saved a lot of trouble bolting up the MC separately.

This will be a good time to bleed/flush the brakes.
This works nicely :veryhappy

·
Opeler
250 Posts
I went whole hog a few years ago. I installed the new bigger booster, bigger master cylinder and the bigger brake caliper setup from OTGS. It was worth every penny. The car's stopping ability was improved beyond my expectations. You won't be sorry.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts