Opel GT Forum banner

have you upgraded you brake systesm

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
3,101 Posts
'69 GT with '75 Manta (U.S.) discs and calipers. Braided stainless lines.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
brake upgrade

Isuzu Impulse, 4 wheel vented disc at 10 1/2" dia., also master cylinder and booster. :eek:
rk

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
When I rebuilt mine this summer, I went with a rebuilt master cylinder from Parts America, new brake hoses from OGTS, NOS rear wheel pistons from Ebay, new pads in front, new shoes on rear. Blew all the metal lines out with air, and reinstalled all, and used new brake fluid. It's one thing to get the car moving, but you've got to stop it. Cost a little bit to do, but definitely worth it. Jarrell

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
On my 3.4 GT, it's all stock, but all new or rebuilt. From the new brake pedal rubber to new shoes in the turned drums, front to back. Now if I can just get to the point where I can put it all in. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jarrell, You gotta remember, it's just a stock, 95/6 Camaro 3.4 engine, nothing fancy, like Dave has. If things go right and schedules permit, it will be going cross country behind the motorhome next year, maybe at the right time for maximum exposure and availability. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Come by Carolina Ron. With 2800 Acres here on the farm, I'm sure we can find a place for the Motorhome to set up, and roads to run. I'm not but about 40 miles away from Virginia International Raceway too. They repaved the track 2 years ago and feathered out the 90 at the end of the pit straightaway. Almost as good as Road Atlanta. :D Jarrell

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Me personally I'd love about a 1/2 hour on PPIR (Pikes peak international raceway). Let it all hang out and see the top end for myself. What a total rush and a good place to test braking too. Can you imagine a 150 to O stop?....I can. If I can arrange it I'd need somebody with no fear to hold the camera. Little sis has a friend that invited her to go a few laps so I will see.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
This is getting way off topic but here goes anyway: :rolleyes:

Dave, I'd like to be there myself on that run. I've been know to hold a video cam fairly steady under adverse conditions. :D

Jarrell, We are thinking about a trip to Tennessee to see Margaret's daughter and family, if I can get the GT done and have a trailer for it, I'm trying to persuade Margaret that it would be nice to go to Carlisle either on the way or back. It will be some kinda trip, the whole herd of Norwegian Elkhounds inside with us and the GT in back on a trailer. I can just see the RV site managers on the military installations I plan on going to across country as we set up for the night. :D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Yeah Ron, Grant, we (I), kind got it off topic. But on topic I think, Killer Texas Gt, do you have a thread on your upgrade, notes, or pics? I'd like to go the route you or Dave have done for the next Gt. Thanks, Jarrell

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
a few post back I added a not so bad link to a tech article on this subject. It has pics and some part numbers to go with.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
brake upgrade

I don't have any pictures of the brake upgrade on my GT as the brakes came attached to the supension upgrade I did using the '86 Isuzu Impulse complete suspension from a donor car ($250.00). Previous to the major suspension modification I was running the Isuzu rear disc and '75 Big brakes combination with the stock master cylinder and booster and it stopped on a dime, straight, no nose dives and hardly any lock up. Once the complete Impulse system was installed the 1/2" bore of the GT master cylinder could no longer stop the car as quike as it had previously, it was like back the to stock braking system, not what I was use to. So I changed out to the Impulse booster and master cylinder 7/8" bore (which I do have pictures of and can do a write up of) and the performance was back, so much more so that it was and is scary, still stops straight, slight nose dive, with hardly any lock up but the distance is now half a dime or less, so quick is the stoping ability you have to become re-orientated to stopping, especially with the new Go-Kart like handling of my GT, I sometimes forget I need to stop or slow down for turns.
GTJim is working on a simular braking system using simular parts from the Piazza(New Zealand Impulse) but changing out the front spindles from the Piazza to the GT to accomidate the front disc and caliper and modifing the rear mounting plate for the rear caliper and disc to fit the GT rear end, and using the master cylinder and booster. Jim's is from a turbo version, mine was from a FI version. His rotors are 10" diameter where mine are 10 1/2". diameter. :eek:
rk

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I think I probably have the biggest upgrade on a GT. I will be running 12 1/4" cross drilled and slotted 3/4" thick ventilated rotors with four piston caliber. That is at each corner. Also have 7/8" master cylinder with an oversized perfomace booster. The rear have a e- brake built into the rotor like a mini drum, The drum is almost as big as the original drums that came on the car. I will be running complete stainless braided lines as well.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Well, I must have the most modified master cylinder location of all, but it is hardly an upgrade. Described it in my last Article, the photo never made it there but it's in the thread about Articles.
Anyway, I have a question, is that Isuzu 7/8" bore master cylinder quite similar in appearance and mounting to the stock GT master cylinder? I wonder if I could get better stopping using it on my car with otherwise stock brakes but no booster. Would it pass as "stock" to somebody who didn't know anything about Opels?
Any thoughts?
Everybody check out the photos Jarrell mentions. Awesome!!
I don't know how to vote in the poll; did I upgrade my brakes or make them worse? But I can step on the pedal from the "back seat"! :D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Those were taken at our last Carolina Club meeting by Roy Bell, and the setup is Keith Franks,(Bear). I must say the setup was to droole over. Very Sweet set up. Jarrell

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.