Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a rebuild on my enngine and ran into a problem extracting the head bolt. If I destroy the "star" head bolts, are there replacements that are easily obtainable? Maybe some that aren't "star". Or, if any of you in the KC MO area have the tool to remove them, or atleast know the name/size that would be good to know too.
Thanks
Steve :confused:

·
583 Posts
Serrated bits.

The term used to refer to the 12-point drive head bolt that Opel uses to secure the head to block (12mm), cam timing gear to cam (6mm) and disc brake rotor to hub (10mm) is called a serrated bit. They are available from Lisle Tool, directly, or through Pep Boys, Autozone, O'Reilly's, NAPA and a host of other retail parts supplies, as well as, MAC and Snap On. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry Dave
I didnt know what they called the things. If I live long enough maybe I`ll learn all these things. It always helps to know the right terminolagy when you try to find something.
Thanks
Duane

·
583 Posts
No apology necessary.

Not necessary. I didn't know either. Imagine when I asked for them at the local parts house back in 1975. They looked a bit puzzled as well.

Good luck on the hunt for those. You should be able to get a set at Autozone for about $10.00 or so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new problem, all head bolts are out....except one, of course it is stripped, contemplating just chiseling the head off of the bolt. any other ideas before the destruction?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Chisel off a head bolt? Your kidding right? put the surrounding bolts back in and torque them back down to relieve some strain on it and try a different aproach like vise grips or a torx instead of the serrated bit.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i fully agree with dave, anything else would get alot of metal shavings inside the engine. the only other "safe" alternative i could see to that is a easy-out if they even make them that big.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
they do make bigger ez outs, on the other hand another idea is a nipple extractor. Used to remove a broken pipe and only grabs to the inside kind of like a stud extractor. Just an idea.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I had to pull a stuck head bolt on a tractor one time and used a sharp chisel to put a groove in it in the direction it was to unloosen, put shop rags all around it and smacked the crap out of it until it turned enough to get a pair of vise grips on it.
Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Moderators Commentary: I moved this thread to the Engine Mechanical Forum. The GT Forum is almost NEVER the right place to post threads on mechanical, electrical, or darn near any other question. It is for "GT Specific" topics, like "How many GT's are still on the road", or "What colour of interiors came with silver GT's in 1970". PLEASE!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts