Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking in my radiator and it was almost empty, so i put water in it to fill it up. i started it and the white smoke is back, come out of the tail pipes. and it is coming out of the engine compartment. It is idleing very high,and it sprays water out the resinator tail pipe. could this be a problem with my thermostat? or is this a cracked head, or a blown head gasket? by the way it smokes towards the back of the engine.(closest to the driver and passengers). any help on this would greatly be welcomed,
William

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
in a word YES
if your water has gone then its going to be the head and/or gasket

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
There was another thread recently very similar to this.

The experience I've had is that the Head gasket will blow or the head crack if the engine over heats. The engine will run rough or sputter.

I ended up changing engines. Of course, that was back in 1980, when Opel were plentiful in the salvage yards.

(You can read in the prior thread how I tried about 5 cans of Bars Stopleak as a temporary "fix")

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Water spraying out the exhaust means it's time to pull the head. Let's hope for a bad head gasket.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
help!!!!

I'm going to change my head gasket this weekend...hopefully... Well I know the head gasket is blown. Is there noticable cracks when a head cracks? If my head is cracked,where and how much can i get a head for a stock 71 opel gt 1.9L? What tools do i need to take every thing out? is there any hints such as unhook battery, drain oil, etc. I dont know if you really have to do that but... what all has to come out to change head gasket? And if i take it all apart, it should go back together pretty easy? take this in mind I'm only 15 and this is my first car, so if you could type so i can understand. Thank you guys so much.... Billy
P.S. I have a complete gasket set, what other gaskets could i replace while im there?

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
valve cover

I took out all the bolts today to the valve cover and it is stuck. what do i have to do to get it off?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
You will need an 8 and 12 mm serrated bits, Napa or alot of other parts stores sell them. 10, 13, 15, 17 mm wrenches and sockets should get you on the right track. If you haven't found it yet you need to find the timing mark. Put the motor on it so the bolts will come out of the head. Now would be a good time to unhook the battery. You don't need to drain the oil and I suspect draining the coolant has already happened. Start by removing the valve cover and the front cam cover. Oops almost got ahead of myself you also need a 27 mm or 1 1/16 socket to take the chain tensioner out, It's located just above your oil filter. Next is taking the intake exhaust manifolds off, remove the bolts holding it to the head and watch for anything like linkages and lines that might get damaged as you move the manifolds back from the head. Then remove the upper radiator hose and possibly thermostat housing for access to the manifold bolts. Next you remove the 3 cam bolts and wiggle the sprocket off the cam. you also need to have removed the nylon spacer bolt from the front end of the cam. Then remove the head bolts. Once they are out you usually need to do a bit of prying to get it loose. Once the head is no longer stuck to the gasket it needs to be removed straight up to clear the chain. Now is a good time to take a very close look at the head gasket for clues as to what the problem is. HTH

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Willy, for starters, find a manual for the car and get one. Most of the info on "how to" are in the manual. To get the valve cover off after all the bolts are removed, you can give it a sharp rap with a soft faced hammer and it should break loose. Or carefully pry it up with a screwdriver, being careful not to scratch the mating surfaces. Probably what has happened is the gasket is sealed to the cover and the head and it needs a little help in breaking the seal. You will need the special head bolt tool to get the bolts out of the head and also there are two other sizes (smaller) to get other bolts out that you will need to take off the head. I can't remember exactly where the bolts are but they are different and need the special tool to remove them. These tools are NOT the TORX type. HTH.

Ron

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
A bit of prying on old gaskets is normal. First double check that all the bolts are out. Then find something to gain leverage to pop it off or something like a flat screwdriver or chisel to pry it loose. Always being careful not to damage any surfaces you would have to fix later.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got the valve cover off..

I got the valve cover off, but now im having second thoughts about doing it myself. I dont wanna go any futher until i know i can do it. I had to buy this car myself and dont want to screw anything up worse than it is. Half of that stuff i dont think i could get it back together, so does anyone know how much it costs to get it done in a shop?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
"how much would it cost to have a shop do it?"...........
TOO MUCH!!! it really isnt bad to do, the only thing you should have a bitch of a time with is picking the head straight up, since its kinda heavy to be lifting from standing from the side of the car. you would want to make sure nobody rotates the motor, even the slightest bit once you take the head off, and you will not want to rotate the cam at all either.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
It's really not that bad, besides you know you already have a problem. Just take it one step at a time, try not to brake anything and ask questions when you need to. Everybody that you would be asking questions of was where you are now at some point in thier history. I learned on a 69 GT when I was a year younger than you are. Just be patient and go for it. As for lifting the head It's awkward but not that hard, or ask for a bit of help lifting it off. With two people it's real easy.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Get the Manual!

The manual needed is for sale on EBay:

#7901513807 Opel GT 1968-73 Owner's Workshop Manual Buy Now $26.00
plus $5 S&H. Use Paypal and you will have it for the weekend!

There is a very good head removal and replacement section plus heaps of good drawings etc.
Even "FIG 1:3 Section through timing gear and oil pump" is correct with the crank key shown at the top (unlike the factory w/s Manual!)

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gasket set.

I hope you guys dont mind me asking all these questions, but i was looking at ogts, and the had 'head gasket', and 'head gasket set'. what is the difference? because when i bought the car he gave me onea gasket set.which has a head gasket with it.. is there anything else i need as far as parts?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
No Problem!

No problem with the questions Willy. A manual will keep all the answers close by you though!

A Head gasket is just that - one head gasket

The Head gasket set should have all the extra gaskets needed to replace an head -head gasket; rocker cover gasket; side and end plate gaskets etc.

·
335 Posts
Ask all you want willy, These are good engines to cut your teeth on. The first engine I ever rebuilt was a 1.9 in a kadett, I was 15 at the time. That's not to say I did a very good job on it but it did get me through high school. Just take your time, if you have one you can use a digital camera to take pictures before you start disasembling everything, that may help you remember where everything goes later. My recommendation is once the head is off, go ahead and have it checked for cracks by a machine shop and I would certainly have the valves done while it is off. Good luck

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a 1974 chilton's manual, but no luck.

I found out in my friend garge, a 1971-1974 Chilton's "Opel 2" manual. Im still left in the dark, but closer to the light. It says that I have to replace a rubber gasket ring when i replace my head gasket. it is right of timing chain. where can i get that? It also says that you have to rub both sides of the head gasket with a sealer.(not gasket cement but rather a sealer designed for use on head gaskets.) where can i get this? It says that something has to be torqued, so does that mean i need a torque gun? by the way if you know, how much is that gasket ring, and the sealer?

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
The rubber ring should be part of the head gasket set. It is a rubber ring that seals the waterjacket holes between the block and front of the head.

Use a "copper" gasket spray for a sealer.

You will need to rent or borrow a torque wrench to make sure the head bolts are tightened evenly. Follow the tightening sequence listed in the book several times going a little tighter with each pass until you reach the specified torque.

·
Opeler
99 Posts
oil tensioner

Im not sure if this is the best place to put this question, but my mechanic is about to pull the head on my car(1.9) and he needs to know where the 'oil tensioner for the timing belt' is and also where the timing marks on the chain are...i had wanted to drive it to an upcoming competition im goin to, but now it looks like im not goin to be able to...damn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts