Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, Just a quick question. I remember from years back, my dad telling me about re-torquing the head bolts after the vehicle has been put back into service. Like most kids... I only remember part of what he said. So... Is it necessary and ,if so, how soon after a head gasket replacement does it need to be done. Also, do I need to loosen all the bolts and retorque or just make sure they are still at the proper torque.
I did do a search ,but, there is SO MUCH information on this site I could just go retorque the thing before I would find an answer. :D

Thanks
Ging and dan

BTW, Timed, tweaked the carb and tweaked the linkage, she SCREAMS
Ging says :D

She still wants more

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
i got a Felpro no retorque head gasket set, added the two extra coolent holes as per RallyBobs thread, put it on ran 1000 miles, heard a ticking, increased to a louder ticking. Said Oh Sh.., what is this? Put my hand on the valve cover, felt like it was louder in front. Pulled the valve cover and found nos. 10 headbolt was not at the correct torque. Torqued it hot at 52 ft lbs. Went back the next day when it and me had cooled down, checked it and torqued at 70 ft lbs. Torqued it to 72 ft lbs cold as per Fsm checked all the others in the proper sequence and they were correct, and haven't had any problems since. This was the first time I have ever had to do this. So, I guess the answer would be, can't hurt to check it. Stranger things have happend. JM2CW, Jarrell

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Us older folks, that have been around for more than a day or two, remember having to retorque the head bolts after the engine had been run up to temp and then cooled down. To be sure I double checked my Clymer's and found the following under engine reassembly: "Check and adjust valve to proper setting after 500 miles and retorque cylinder head bolts to specifications." HTH.

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Okay I know this is an old thread, but fitting for my discussion. I replaced a head gasket sometime back and now with around 500 miles, I decided to re-torque the head bolts. Oddly enough, the bolts from center toward the front of the engine required a little bit more torque than the rear bolts. Anyone have an idea why? All of the bolts needed a little more torque, but the frontal ones needed a tad bit more. There have been no leaks by the way.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Just might be the way that the head gasket and head 'settled in' And could be changes in turning friction on the bolt threads in the block and bolt heads in the head. After all, that is what we are really doing: measuring turning friction.... and interpreting it as clamping force.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts