Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I checked the flange already, and the thickness, there is a small piece welded to each of the center bolt holes to compensate for the thickness of cast iron. bolts line up with the head perfectly. The ports need a little cleaning, they left them slightly less than desireable... some deepish grinder marks and such. I'll definitely try it in the gt before I send it off. I had to do this with my Nova headers too since I moved the engine back a couple of inches from its stock location in that car.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Once you're positive all problems are worked out, check with Jet Hot in Tempe, Az. to coat it. . . your header looks identical to mine, which was $160 to coat inside & out. It's a few bucks extra to coat the inside, but worth it, dude. Jet Hot is so customer-oriented it's almost hard to believe--they'll send you a videotape of the coating process, send you a folder full of literature, you'll get the deluxe treatment all the way--& they'll warranty a new header for LIFE. Mine came back looking beautiful, & I'm totally happy with it.

opelmark

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I've been thinking about getting some new headers (currently have the pacesetter, which I installed in my earlier days of learning about cars and now regret that I didn't do some of the things that rallybob suggested. Also, the exhaust shop couldn't have done a worse job of bending the pipe. The exhaust hits the body in every conceivable spot and needs to be redone anyways.).
Where have you guys gotten your headers, and which would you think are the best ones?

CoolBlue72

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
The best ones are the ones you make yourself.....that way you have no one to blame but yourself if it doesn't fit! Besides, in terms of design, there's nothing on the market worth a damn. Here's a header I built for my hill climb Manta, with 2.2 litre engine. Primaries are 1.625 inches x 36 inches long, exhaust system is 2.5 inches in diameter.

Bob

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Making my own headers?

After 2 long months and many emails I finally received the header I ordered. It has 1 1/2" primarys and 2 1/2" collector. Now I get to have it ceramicoated or something better than the cheap black paint that already started to wear in shipping.

Dan
1986 Mazdaratti

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Dan, before you send that header out to be coated, you need to do a few things first.

Check to be sure the thickness of the header flange where the attaching bolts run through is 12 mm thick (.472 inch). If not, the washer of the intake/exhaust bolts will not sit flat across the intake and exhaust surfaces, and it will not seal correctly.

Check to see if the flange itself is warped, or if the welded areas around the ports have any voids that would create leaks.

Check the fit of the header flange relative to the intake manifold flange you will be using....often there is interference here and it must be ground away to fit.

Check the fit of the header in the chassis itself. It is not uncommon for the header to strike the engine mount bracket, the bell housing or the bracket attached to the bell housing and block, and number 1 header tube may interfere with the underside of the intake manifold if you are using a stock down draft intake. Another possible point of contact is the frame rail itself.

If all this sounds unlikely to you Dan, it really isn't! I've tried to install GT headers that had EVERY one of these problems. But better to make your dents and grind the header now than after the header gets coated.

Another tip: The fiber type header gaskets tend to blow out easily. To help them seal better, soak them in water for about a half hour before installation. Then install the wet gasket, and torque to spec, starting at the center and working out in a three or four step process. Run the engine until the engine is up to temperature, then shut it down and let it cool off. Once cool, torque again. They will likely be very loose. The water helps the gasket to conform to irregularities. After this, the gasket will be *molded* to shape, and should seal well. Re torque after about 100 miles or so.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
Another resurrected goldie oldie...Check out RallyBob's Hill Climb Header

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
moved to exaust forum he he he

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
baz said:
moved to exaust forum he he he
I sense a swelling of pride from Baz, from correcting the corrector..... :D

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
Yea, but if I could only teach him to spell!

Actually, this thread started in the Engine Performance Forum. But either works for me

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
im getting better with the words keith now i've got mary to stay next to me when im online (shes better than the spell check and quicker ) :D just need sp checker on new threads and edits now

talking of her indoors she becomes official in 6 weeks on 25th of july at 3pm local time :D

cake decoration is @
http://opelgt.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/5313/cat/500/ppuser/12504

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aftermarket Headers

For those of us who can't weld to save our souls, are there any good aftermarket headers for the GT? I've seen a few on ebay, but I'm reluctant to spend good money on something of questionable pedigree or utility just because someonce claims it'll fit an Opel. :D At this point, time in on my side, but I'd like to know what my options are.
Thanks!

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
1 option if you have to is have a local fab shop weld it up for you
get them to drill some flat stock(use a gasket for centres) and bolt the flanges to it then weld the bar to a bench to keep the shape right (welders benches normaly get this done to them and are cleaned up with a grinder after )
would be a half days work at most and should not cost all that much

·
199 Posts
If i remember correctly OpelGtSource sold one for 250$ at one time. I talked to todd at opels unlimited and he said he has good used ones for 150$ and new for 250$.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I still think that the idea of sharing the bolts for the exhaust and intake the way it is now is a bad idea. I think some should take some steel, cut out every port and drill every hole to make a flange that resembles the head. Then, only weld pipes to it where the exhaust belongs, leaving the intake completely open. Then, just put the bolts through the existing "hole" on the intake and on through the flange. Then, just sandwich the two together. Sounds like a much better idea to me. It would not only seal better, but make the setup stronger also. Shouldnt that work?

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Matt M240Z said:
Shouldnt that work?
Yes it should. There would be potential issues, such as the possibility of gasket leaks (twice as many places for the intake gasket to leak), and more places for there to be misalignment and therefore airflow obstructions.....but these can all be remedied with careful doweling/porting/assembly.

I am going to use a similar setup for my land speed engine. In short I'll have a 3/4" aluminum header adapter plate bolted to the head with helicoiled inserts for the header mounts. The header bolt pattern will be wider to allow for bigger tubes and there will be more bolts for better sealing. The intake will bolt seperately too, and won't share the exhaust bolts. Similar thinking, slightly different technique, but with much the same results.

Give it a try and let us know how it works out. I suspect the only thing that will be dead critical will be that the flange will have to be dead-nuts flat on both sides (milled or surface ground), and the header tubes will have to be (heliarc) welded in place with minimal heat to prevent warpage.

Bob

·
Registered
127 Posts
Aight, is opel unlimited still open? I've called and e-mailed and gotten nothing. I've been tryin to get a couple parts. Maybe yall can help me with one. I need a header. New or used, if you have one to sell me, send me a pm.

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
matt enjoy the time you spend looking for them they are not known for there customer service
once there name is in a thread we get a round of good and bad posts about the place so i will say this only once (ello ello pun for the brits )
we have had them all before so dont post them or i will dump them :)

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts