Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey R Bob-what would be the chance of buying a header flange from you to make my own header for the 1.9 head? I like the looks of the one for your turbo project. Any chance of meeting with one in Carlile??
Keith

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
I have just three left at this point. I can't guarantee I'd have any left in time for Carlisle.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
flange made into a header

I had the pleasure of visiting Tom King in Joplin MO while on a work trip.

here is the header he had made by a muffler shop to the RB flange. It has been "jet coated..I believe..by a guy in his garage..for $60" muffler shop charged 100 to bend and weld the pipe...he had the shop copy an old one as a template..they looked awseome, just like his yellow gt

Attachments

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Header flange

The tubing bender in the muffler shop will not do a mandrel bend and it crimps the tubing in the bends which disrupts the exhaust flow and negates the purpose of a header to start with. In order for a header to be of benifit it must have very close to equal length tubes and no sharp turns to disrupt the flow. That's why a sprint manifold (75 FI) works better on a street Opel than a header. Along with the duribility of Cast Iron which is no where as near prone to rusting out, a sprint manifold with a 2-2 1/4 free flowing system will out perform most headers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts