Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at an aftermarket header today and I couldn't identify it. It is a 4 into 2 into 1 with 1 and 2 then 3 and 4 combined. It is very close to the bellhousing. It is in a car so pictures would be hard to do. Any ideas?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
have not seen a 1 like that dave i wonder if its a home fab job but idont think it would be all that good as i think the pipes are in the wrong joining order for the gasses to pulse right ,i think and if im wrong im sure bob or otto will call it but the pipes need to join 1-4-3-2 so in the 4 into 2's you get 1 pulse and a gap in the flow in first 2 pipes then the same in the 2nd so when they get to the 2 into you get the same 1st pipe - 2nd pipe 1st pipe -2nd pipe
flow pattern and then 1st -2nd-1st-2nd in the collector to the exhaust

that 1 would be 1-2-2-1 or if you like 2 pulses from 1 pipe and then 2 from the second
this would screw with the scavenging of the gasses

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Sound!

Don't be too hasty - that is how a Harley-Davidson works.........
Two exhaust pulses together then a long gap.
Maybe a GT with and exhaust system like that would sound like two Harleys!

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
we dont want a gt to sound that bad do we jim :D

but a harley is a 2 cylinder so only has 2 pulses its not a sound thing its a scavenge thing , you need to get the exhaust pulses coming out in a balanced order to pull the gasses out of the engine correctly to make power
not that a 4-2-1 is that good for power its just easyer to make than a 4-1 and takes up less room

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one shows no signs of being a hand built, it actually fits pretty well.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
dave @ 1 place i worked we used to make them on cnc benders and tig or mig them up and when painted with ali paint they looked shop bought but they were hand made (look at bobs work , all hand done and looks the dogs you know whats )

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I goofed. After removing the carb and all the goofy linkages to it I found it was a 4 into 1. It has a deep one piece flange like the ones Bob made as well. There was so much clutter in there you couldn't see the back pair.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What does the headers on side muff

I did not get to see how Dallas has the side muffler set up with his header, but the photo that Kwilford posted look like they could work pretty well, (Yes No, maybe??)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts