Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Opeler
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hours of research I can't seem to find an answer so here goes my drawn out scenario...I understand that you can't fit an exhaust header with an ARA AC. Is this because the header hits the bracket or the York compressor? I plan on replacing the York with a Sanden. Does this help the situation? I also read that you need a Sanden to York conversion plate. There are "C" shaped ones and flat ones. I assume I need the "C" shaped one for tenioning the belt? Finally I read somewhere about replacing the alternator with a Sanden SD505 and relocating the alternator to the passenger side. Would this help the header clearance? TIA!

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
You can fit a sanden compressor on the passenger side. You’ll need to make your own bracket or buy one from OpelSpyder who makes a full kit. See my thread on installing The New Vintage AC system on my ARA ac car.

The old brackets do fit and clear the header. But the York would probably get in the way.

·
1,689 Posts
Keep looking you can make a bracket that fits where your old York compressor mounted. Here are photos of one that are on a GT.
This not on my car but someone else has this and they have headers I almost sure of.
John

Attachments

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Keep looking you can make a bracket that fits where your old York compressor mounted. Here are photos of one that are on a GT.
This not on my car but someone else has this and they have headers I almost sure of.
John
That would clear. Here’s a reference

·
Opeler
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would clear. Here’s a reference
Thanks for the replies. So the York bracket doesn't interfere, kinda looks like once you got a compressor on there that it would interfere. I looked over your ARA New Vintage Auto thread, why didn't you use the York mount and an adapter? I definitely like Keith's lower mount set up, that looks much better. Thought I read somewhere that he doesn't sell individual parts of his kit though.

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
You might contact Keith and ask. You might get lucky, but yes I think he sells full kits only.

The original ARA mount is very prone to cracking. My car spends a lot of time around 6000rpm so I wanted a more compact and better engineered system. Keith’s engine AC kit was a no brainer.

You could easily strengthen the original ARA mount and weld on some adapters for a sanden compressor though and it would work just fine. I think the ARA bracket uses cast iron, but my memory may be wrong. You’ll have to look up special procedures to weld it well.
It’s a good idea to preheat cast iron really hot before welding and do not let it cool quickly put the part on a non conductive surface like sand so it doesn’t transfer heat too quickly.

It might just be mild steel though. I’d have to go take a look again.

·
Opeler
1,488 Posts
After hours of research I can't seem to find an answer so here goes my drawn out scenario...I understand that you can't fit an exhaust header with an ARA AC. Is this because the header hits the bracket or the York compressor? I plan on replacing the York with a Sanden. Does this help the situation? I also read that you need a Sanden to York conversion plate. There are "C" shaped ones and flat ones. I assume I need the "C" shaped one for tenioning the belt? Finally I read somewhere about replacing the alternator with a Sanden SD505 and relocating the alternator to the passenger side. Would this help the header clearance? TIA!
I put on a Sanden compressor back around 1990 and it has worked well with no failures. Since the GT was my son's high school driver I looked for a fast way to swap out the old York for a Sanden in only a Saturday, so he could drive it without downtime. The simplest way is to use the old ARA brackets and idler pulleys and mount the Sanden directly to that horizontal ARA platform and the vertical support.

I did this by cutting a center-drilled, 25.4mm (!") diameter, steel bar to fit snugly between the mounting ears of the compressor (~90MM), and bolting it in between the ears (see Pics.). I sat the Sanden and new mounting bar down on the horizontal York mounting plate (see Kyler's picture) and pushed the bar up against the vertical part of the mount and aligned the pulley with the crank and idler pulleys, using a framing square. Once I was happy with the alignment. I tack welded the steel bar to the horizontal mounting plate (see pics). After I rechecked belt alignment I removed the compressor and permanently welded the steel bar mount in place.

Having the compressor mounted, I made a template from a file folder and flame-cut a belt-adjustment bracket out of 1/4" steel plate, with a center slot for adjustment cut in the end that bolts to the block. (see pics). I still have the template in my files I think. It works just like any belt tensioner. With the tensioner and compressor in place, I installed the belts and tensioned them, hooked up the hoses and started the vacuum pump.

Attachments

·
Opeler
1,488 Posts
I put on a Sanden compressor back around 1990..........
Additional Pictures! Plus, I forgot to say that I cut away about half or more of the ARA horizontal platform bracket. It isn't necessary for the Sanden and frees up a lot of room in that area.

Attachments

·
Opeler
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Additional Pictures! Plus, I forgot to say that I cut away about half or more of the ARA horizontal platform bracket. It isn't necessary for the Sanden and frees up a lot of room in that area.
Thanks Spring! I read somewhere else about your install but wasn't exactly sure what you'd done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts