Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all...

i just picked up my new '72 gt, and it came with the right light bucket removed. the left one would not lock correctly, so i tried to adjust it. i can get it to lock open, but not closed. i have tried moving the cable in and out to no avail. i have not even tried to work with the right bucket installed yet, but i'm worried that it will complicate things to put it in right now. any ideas on where to start, how to adjust correctly, etc. the book leaves alot to be desired on this subject.

thanks,

mike

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Mike;
I hate to say this, but, one of the most notorious things about GT head lights is the 3 metric bolts that hold the assembly to the pivot mechanism, and it sounds like you may have 1 or 2 of them broke off. These bolts take a lot of beating from the headlights flipping over and loosen up easily, and if you don't constantly check your head lights, you can break them off. You'll have to dis-assemble the whole thing to get to the bolts and what's left of the ones that broke off and somehow (various methods can be used) get the broken pieces out and replace the bolts, and if/when you do get them out, replace the bolts with a much harder bolt, the ones in there stock, are like a grade 2 (US equivalent) get a grade 8 (metric equivalent is 12.9, I think), it won't stop the breaking, unless you make it a habit of chcking the headlights. I do everytime I get out at home at the end of the day, I walk by the front and give the headlights a wiggle with my hand, if they move any, it's time to tighten the bolts up.
Hope that helps.
Gene

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
a cool thing i notcied the other day i wus putting my headlight buckets back on and i had writtn on the bottom which wus right and which wus left but as i wus putting them on i noticed on the little overlap ring on the bucket they have steped an r for the right one and an l for the left it looks factory since it would be very ahrd to do such a thingby hand, jus thought id let u all no that little tip.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Mike, at the bottom of the home page in the download section, there is a narrative on the care and feeding of the GT headlights. It is very informative and gives hints on how to remove, install, and adjust the headlights. HTH.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Mike;
There's also another possible problem, there's 3 wafer thin spring plates that try to absorb the shock of the headlights. These break too, after 30+ years of being flipped over. I have had both side on my headlights break. Sorry for the extra bad news, but, the headlights do require a particular amount of attention.

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more headlight questions

more about the danged headlights! with the light assenblies out of the car, and the rotating arms exposed...are the arms supplsed to go into the locks and latch both directions? mine don't. it appears as if the lights are supposed to use momentum to actually altch and lock...is this the way it's supposed to be? also, the rotating arms seem to have alot of play in them. they move about 1/2" more after the lever is moved fully one way or the other - is this right? is everything worn out, or do i just need to make more adjustments. any help is greatly appreciated.

mike

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i may be wrong, but i think you do need to have some momentum behind the rotating headlights to make them lock. both of my GTs have been this way, if you try to rotate them slow, they wont lock in either position.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
They do need the lights in and spun by the cable to lock in place. There are two gears that actually drive the assembly so some play is to be expected, but 1/2 inch seems more than normal. I would hang onto the actuator bar with one hand and the rotating mechanism with the other and look for play then.

I also agree that the manuals are little help with the lights. There is one that is, the workstation handbook. I have seen one in english that I'm still trying to talk somebody out of or make copies. OGTS has them in German for 40 bucks, if you read German.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You might try doing a search on headlights. I remember downloading a .pdf file maybe six months ago with details on headlight removal. I think it was originally an OWANA article. I don't recall if it had any info that might help, but I know it exists. I've got a printed copy of it somewher it my ratsnest of an office.:D

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts