Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My passenger headlight is not working. Is it possible to bypass the relay, and splice the driver side headlight power directly to the passenger side headlight; and add a higher amp fuse into the fuse box?
Thanks
Mike:banghead:

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,405 Posts
Have you swapped out the bulbs first.?

If you got the wire you can do almost anything.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Those headlights draw a lot of current. I don't know that I would trust the gauge of wire that is providing power to 1 headlight to be able to support 2 without overheating. If you changed to a larger gauge wire all the way back to the fuse block, that might do it. WhT not check the relay and replace it if it is bad?

·
Not So Newb Anymore
342 Posts
Most importantly check the wiring that runs thru the rotate mechanism. The wires get a work out every time you flip them over and back again. Check to see where you aren't getting power thru first. If you have a wiring diagram that's a big help. If you cannot find one or don't have one pm me. I can help. Also you can look under the downloads tab on the forum and there is a 1973 GT Factory Service Manual available.

Start there first. The stock wiring will not support running both headlights at once on one set of wires. You are risking a fire.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Hi all,
My passenger headlight is not working. Is it possible to bypass the relay, and splice the driver side headlight power directly to the passenger side headlight; and add a higher amp fuse into the fuse box?
Thanks
Mike:banghead:
I am going to presume you have a GT, so I have moved this thread to the 2C - GT Headlamps Troubleshooting, Removal and Repair Forum.

First, you need to review the wiring diagram (assuming again that your wiring hasn't been hacked by the dreaded Previous Owner (aka PO) to see how the GT's headlight wiring is configured. You might simply have a case of a broken wire in the harness (using the word "simply" as a substantial understatement). The GT headlight wiring is ESPECIALLY prone to failure ahead of the splice in the harness, just behind the driver's side headlight bucket. There is only ONE wire from the relay for each of the low and high beams which THEN splits into two (right and left) at the splice, which is where Opel changed the insulation from plastic to a rubber, and THAT rubber insulation is GUARANTEED to have fallen apart. Unless the PO has already replaced it.

And read the top couple of threads where I moved this thread to, especially
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2c-gt-...-panel-wheelwell-repair-headlight-wiring.html
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2c-gt-...moval-repair/891-gt-headlights-wont-turn.html
What concerns me is your comment about a higher fuse rating. The GT headlights are UN-FUSED!!! So unless your wiring has been massively altered by the PO, you need to start with the basics.

HTH

·
Detritus Maximus
2,703 Posts
Hey-

If you want, give me a call tomorrow. I'll be at work in Maplewood til 4 or so and could swing by afterwards.
The problem may be simple, but that headlight wiring needs to be examined. It isn't hard to replace it, but it takes a little time and patience.

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts