Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Im tearing apart my interior to start the infamous rewire and interior re-do and I can't get the headlight handle off. I know there is an allen screw in there but I can't figure out the size. I have one of those HUGE every size under the sun metric and standard wrench sets, but not one will fit. Either too big or too small? Anyone know the correct size? Maybe im not being convincing, i.e. forceful enough.

I know for a FACT that it has NEVER been removed and it looks kinda like there might be some rust in there. How do I get it off then?

Thanks all in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
It's not an allen head srew, it's a slotted head set screw....

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Oh, that funny little lever! When we first let the cat out of the bag that we were building a new race car, everybody wanted to know what kind. The only authorized answer was "German". That only made it worse. Finally that evening the head Tech Man asked what it was, and I said it's not a Volkswagen, not a Porsche, not a BMW. I screwed up by saying "you might think it looks like a Corvette" and he just smiled and asked if it had a little lever by the shifter that made the headlights pop up. I said "oh no, not at all, it makes the headlights roll over!" He just laughed and said "great, I can't wait to see it!"
Anyway, in stripping the car it was seen that somebody had tried to take that lever out, the area had been attacked by bars and chisels. I found the cutting torch was the proper tool. I hope you will not agree...
It sounds like Gene knows more about it than I do, listen to him!!;)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Uh yep, that's what it takes all right an itty bitty common screwstick, at least for the setscrew to come out. To get the handle off is another thing. I've worn a few swollen areas in my head when the handle finally came off. One of these days you'd think I'd learn to be smart about that and not try too much force getting it off the shaft. :rolleyes:

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BQS4 said:
It's not an allen head srew, it's a slotted head set screw....

so... then just a regular little screw driver? I swear I see 5 distinct sides that looks like an allen head. Am I crazy? Should I take a closeup digital pic?

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
First off Thom, Allen head screws are "6" sided, but, if you see what looks like an allen head, or rather "socket" head screw in there and you don't have a allen or "hex" key to fit it, then the socket is worn out and, pardon the pun, you're "screwed". Unless you want to take a dremel and cut through the plastic and cut a slot in the screw, to be able to use a screw driver, then you can come over to my place and get a replacement handle. Butttt, knowing you, you'll end up ripping the handle off, so, I'll just supply the whole assembly...roflmao!:D :D

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6 sided huh, ok, well I didnt take the time to count the sides. Uh...... I think I have some allen head screws somewhere. Well, if I don't its a good excuse to buy more tools.

Oh and thanks for the confidence Gene.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
BQS4 said:
First off Thom, Allen head screws are "6" sided, but, if you see what looks like an allen head, or rather "socket" head screw in there and you don't have a allen or "hex" key to fit it, then the socket is worn out and, pardon the pun, you're "screwed". Unless you want to take a dremel and cut through the plastic and cut a slot in the screw, to be able to use a screw driver, then you can come over to my place and get a replacement handle. Butttt, knowing you, you'll end up ripping the handle off, so, I'll just supply the whole assembly...roflmao!:D :D
I have the whole assembly also. Do you still have the 3pound sledge and the penetrating oil?

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man......... just great. Thanks Rick.:(

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Hockey love...pure and simple...;) Seriously though, about the only way you can possibly get it out is if you have or get one of those tiny screw drivers and see if you can get lucky and back it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts