Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My Gal and I Are a proud owner of an 70 Opel GT 1900
We brought the car home in the dark and the lights kept going off.
We would have to engage them all the time to get them back on. Is this something that happens alot with the light mechanize, or do we have light wiring problem?

Rolf and Rika

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check headlight ground

There is a very important headlight ground wire, directly in front (forward) of the brake master cylinder--which is rarely mentioned on these Opel internet lists--that SHOULD be mentioned. Of the thousands of words on this subject that have already been written SOMEWHERE, most of 'em omit this particular ground--which I'm sure has caused more intermittent headlight function than dead relays and original (bad) wiring combined. This ground can work loose over time, ground the headlight circuit just now and then (depending on which bump in the road you hit--this might explain how rolling your headlights on and off could bring them back, temporarily) or rust away completely.
No ground, no headlights. Check it out, and proceed from there. It's a logical place to start.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
my 70 GT has a ground wire that grounds under the dash where the fuse block bolts onto the car. they didnt work until it was hooked up but the wiring was so messed up when i first got the car so maybe its relocated from he origional position, but if not maybe thats something to check out real quick too.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,839 Posts
It could also be that the cable/linkage is out of whack and not locking properly. This would prevent the micro switches in the rotators from tripping. Or maybe the rotators/switches have a problem or are loose (haven't seen that happen but it is a 'possibility').

Oh, and to state the obvious, check the actual plugs on the back side of the headlights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts