Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 73 GT. The headlights will not come on. When the ignition switch is off you can turn on a blinker and the lights will come on, but when you turn on the ignition switch the lights go off. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Lights

The good news is that the lights are supposed to come on when the turnsignal lever is moved and the ignition is in the park position, it is a quirky holdover from the days before hazard flashers.
The rest of the good news is that this indication rules out wiring and bulb problems, leaving you to troubleshoot the switch, the headlight relay, and the fuses.
The VW service manual used to recommend giving the lead fuses thes cars use a half turn twist each way every time you changed the oil to loosen-up oxidation and ensure gool electrical contact.Try rolling the 2,3,4 and 6 fuses in the panel between your fingers while they are still installed, or taking all your fuses out and wire-brushing the fuse box terminals and the ends of the fuses.
I havn't figured a good way to troubleshoot the headlight relay yet.
If the fuses and relay aren't the problem, the next step would be to try to replace the switch with one you know is good, which involves removing the dash. Sorry.
Usually it is the fuses, if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dude. I'll try out your suggestions.
Are you active duty? I am in the reserves. I am a Sea Bee type.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Navy

I am an active duty instructor at the Naval Nuclear Power Prototype Training Command. I teach new Sailors how to be electricians and how to operate nuclear reactors. It probably sounds cooler than it really is;)

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Similar problem

I replaced the wiring for the head lights this weekend to try to correct what I thought might be a shorted harness. The wires from the harnes to the lights were still good, but were replaced since it would not be smart to push the lucky wires to the point of catching fire. The lights will come on, but once in a while they take a while to come on. Sometimes if the engine is rev'ed up the lights come on. I think that the relay may be sticking. I have the Opel GT Owners Workshop Manual, but it seems to be lacking most of the useful information like where the relay can be found. I would be interested in knowing where to find the relay as well as a factory manual. If anyone can help with either please post here or drop me an e-mail. Thanks.

Phil

·
Registered
67 Posts
In the meantime, Phil, the headlight relays are at the fusebox rear. They're the two biggest of the silver "cans" down there.

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Thanks for the help

That's what I had thought, but I didn't want to start playing with the wrong stuff. My car has a few electrical "modifications" that seem a bit hokey at best. I'm an Electro-mechanical Engineer, so fixing half assed mods and going through a new-to-you GT may be a good topic for an article. I would still like to have a hard copy of the manual since the CD manual would come after any writing and putting out bad info helps no one. This is the oldest car that I've ever bought. I had an '84 VW Scirocco for 9 months and a '91 Miata. I hated that VW for many reasons. The Sh!t Rocket had some serious electrical issues and was only bought because the Miata was hit in the front driver's side wheel. My Dad has built race cars since he was in High School, so I do know how to work on most things but every car has its own querks or unique problem areas. I like the way that the GT is put together. It is a true enthusiasts car and coaxes a love afair almost instantly. I plan to strip all piant from the car and completely go over the body and suspension while the rust is still very minimal. I will most likely keep the Fireglow Orange color but I have been looking onto some modifications that I have seen on other GTs and some of my own. I have been following the roller cam thread as well as looking into a 16v 2.4L FI engine swap. I want to get the most for my money and do one or the other instead of throwing money at the stock engine then spend more to change it out. Well, I should stop before this becomes an article. Thanks again.

Phil

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
manuals

I now have a copy of every year's Opel service manual from '65 to 75, as well as the Haynes, Clymer, Motor, Mitchell, Chiltons, Glenns, and Autobook manuals , too. If you need a particular portion from one of the manuals, I can scan it in and send it to you. Just send me an e-mail with what you need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts