Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the original plastic heater control plate in my GT. Note to everyone... It was a pain in the ole' a$$..... :bs2::yup:

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
I just replaced the original plastic heater control plate in my GT. Note to everyone... It was a pain in the ole' a$$..... :bs2::yup:
Did you use the metal one from OGTS? That is a really nice replacement part.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,344 Posts
I'll bet it was!

Since I only need to operate my heater controls twice a year(Turn the heat on in the Fall, turn the heat off in the Spring), I just pop the hood and move the valve lever by hand.

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll bet it was!

Since I only need to operate my heater controls twice a year(Turn the heat on in the Fall, turn the heat off in the Spring), I just pop the hood and move the valve lever by hand.
That's what I used to do.... But I had to take the dash out anyway so I figured I may as well go for it.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,344 Posts
Yeah, I'll probably replace it, too, next time I have to replace a stereo or something.

Those new metal ones ARE really sweet! It's almost a shame to actually install them. They'd make a dandy paper weight! :veryhappy

·
Tazdbs 71 Opel GT
186 Posts
OGTS Rocks!

I installed a new metal one from OGTS a few months ago and it was easy... since I already had the whole dash unit and heater unit out anyway. I had it all apart and got it cleaned and flushed out - heater core and radiator at a local radiator shop.

With the dash still in, it would be a pain trying to get it all set up correctly but well worth the effort. They don't make these cars for people with big hands and old fingers to work on them!

The control unit is well made and heavy and should last a very long time.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
i am reviving an old thread. I just installed a new heater control and it just does not sit right in the space. i've tried bending the brackets a bit but it just isn't right. I feel like it is pushing out on the dash and causing it to bow. Could someone confirm this is just the way it sits or do i need to finesse it more? Otherwise i had no problems with hooking up cables and it is a nice piece although i do prefer the look of the old style though.

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
Yeah, Mine sticks our of the dash too, Probably because it's Metal ,,,and not plastic, does not flex at all. , doesn't bother me too much, try bending the two mounting tabs for a better fit, It does work good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts