Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've got another question for the group. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, all of the heater hoses on my GT were cut and the lines routed to make a loop through the engine and radiator and bypassing the heater core entirely. I haven't done a running check yet, but it looks like this may have been done due to a leaking heater core. While working on the passenger side floorboard, I noticed a lot of what appears to be antifreeze or water stains just below the heater box. Now my question is this. If the heater core does turn out to be bad, does anyone know of any other cars that run similar heater cores that could be used, or is there somewhere out there that sells new or rebuilt GT cores? I checked out the OpelGTsource website, but could not find anything about heater cores and NAPAonline says it's no longer available. I won't know for sure until I can do a running check under pressure, but if the heater core is bad and can't be repaired, then it would be good to know ahead of time where I can find a replacement core.

Thanks for any info,
John

·
257 Posts
John,

Pull the heater core out, there are 2 tubes that go into the core and have gaskets that could leak. If they are rusted into or something else you'll have to replace them. If have a core and the tubes if you can't find any.

I just finished putting my heater core back together. Not much there that can go wrong except rust..........

Stanley

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stanley,
I am going to try to get all the heater hoses hooked back up and do a running test of the heater core for leaks this week sometime (hopefully). There may be nothing wrong with the heater core, but it just seems strange that the previous owner would have it bypassed if it was working properly, so I'm not too optimistic about it. If it does leak, I'll check for leaks due to rust or leaking gaskets first like you stated. If for some reason it is beyond repair, what kind of price would you be asking for the core and tubes you mentioned having? Thought it might not hurt to know ahead of time, just in case.

Thanks,
John

·
257 Posts
My heater core was bypassed too....I believe the heater switch/valve went bad so he(previous owner) bypassed it all together. That maybe your case too....As far as my tubes and core, they are yours for free.....if you pay the shipping....

Stanley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts