Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my '70 GT the hose from the top of the heater box goes to the lower radiator hose, the bottom one goes to the thermostat but what I'm not sure about is that half way down the top hose is spliced and connected to the bottom one with a 1/2" hose. Is this correct?
Thanks

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the two hoses really shoudlnt be spliced into each other. 1 hose should go from the top of the waterpump to 1 of the tubes on the heater core, and the other heater hose should go from the thermostat housing to the other tube on the heater core. 1 of those two heater hoses should have a valve in them operated by a cable, to open and close the valve, which is your temperature control switch in the car. the only time the hoses are are run in some sort of way to "bypass" the heatercore, is usually because the heatercore leaks. i'll try to get a pic of mine real quick to show you.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
carb

Does your car have an aftermarket carb on it? I'll bet it does, and those are the hoses that used to hook to the Solex for the choke. You should probably replace the hoses and just leave the "T's" and connecting hose out, but until you do the set-up you have is fine.

·
199 Posts
Here is how mine is run.

Out of the heater core the top hose goes to the water pump next to the lower radiator hose. The bottom hose goes to the heater valve and then to the thermostat housing.

hth
Brian

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
stephens right about the solex waterchoke lines, i have forgotten about those, and done the same thing you've described above before until new heater hoses could be bought. my camera dont have enough light in the garage but, top hose has the valve in it, goes fromt op of core to thermostat housing, and bottom goes from waterpump to bottom of the heater core, it really doesnt matter tho, they can be hooked up both ways and work the same, it just reverses flow through the heater core is all, in fact my mantas hooked up opposite of my GT.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
Moved to the "Group 9 - Accessories - Radio, Heater, A/C, Sound Systems" Forum.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep you were right the car had a very funky looking carburetor that I got rid of. So what I'm going to do is I'm going to cancel the heater for now until I do the interior at which time I'll replace the heater unit with a cleaner one that I have. I will save all the good information that you guys gave me, I can't tell you how grateful I'm.
Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts