Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all the heater hoses off and found a mixture of 1/2 and 5/8 hoses. It seems to me the 5/8 fits more places easier than the 1/2 inch does. can i use 5/8 inch everywhere without worrying its too loose? Actually I have some 19/32 (anti-smog hose) which really seems to work best......but only have about 6 inches of it and can't remember where I got it.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
When I did mine it had no lines in it at all. I went and got a big roll of 5/8 and the only area that wasn't quite right was the heater coil. 5/8 worked but I put 2 clamps on it, then again my heater coil hooks up in the passenger foot well. No soggy carpet so I guess it was ok.

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts
I moved this thread to "Accessories", because that's where Opel put "Heaters" under in the FSM...

·
1,973 Posts
I am thinking about using stainless steel braided hoses to dress it up alittle more, does any one have any idea for suitable hose clamps that will look nice with the stainless other than those expensive earl connectors?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
One word of warning on the braided steel. I had a GT that the PO had done in all braided steel with the earls fittings. I had to wear gloves to work on anything in the engine compartment. After a short period of time they develope unnoticable little nicks and stray wires. It was like a blood letting every time I stuck my hand in there. They do look good but I wouldn't put them on something I intended to drive and work on. JM2CW

Another idea might be the clear stuff or they make covers that look like braided steel. I also like doing the vacuum lines in colors. I have gotten all of the above at Parker. Not as expensive and looks cool.

·
1,973 Posts
I am having second thoughts about the stainless steel braided hoses, 1) they are expensice 2) they get dirty and then look grungy 3) they sound prickily :p what does every one else use? I have ugly red hoses.

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
Real stainless braided hose is very expensive. Actually, the fittings are where the real cost is. My ITB racecar fuel system cost about $450 in hose and fittings. And you have to be cautious where you run the lines, as they will wear through anything around them (such as unprotected rubber hoses, your bodywork, etc). A less expensive alternative would be something like Aeroquip's 'Socketless' hose. It's rubber hose, but it's a better grade than most, and is rated to 250 degrees and 250 psi working pressure. Comes in blue and black. I've used this on a lot of street cars, and in fact used it for the heater hoses on the racecar (which must remain per the regulations).

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I use whatever I can get my hands on. That way when I pop a line out in the middle of nowhere, I can replace it with the exact same thing. One other note on the braided steel. I had a fitting for the remote filter get a hole rubbed through it. It took a week to get a replacement. That was living in a bigger town with 4 dealers.

I am ,after mentioning it, thinking about the clear stuff and using the blue antifreeze. I think I still have some lemon yellow vacuum line around somewhere. Then again can you get blood red antifreeze?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i have a weird yellow or neon green color hose for the aqua choke and parts of fuel line (plastic line to pump, pump to steel, and steel to carb) totaling 3 pieces. looks cool.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Another option is cooflex , they are a bit on the expenive side, but the hoses last for a lifetime (or they will replace it). They wont freigh, and they look slick!

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
u can get blood red anti freeze its what i run in my gt, its used on some of the newer volkswagons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts