Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to the world of opels. Through some trading about 2 years ago I aquired 2 GTs '69 & '70. Both are in rough shape. Only the '70 is drivable by any stretch of imagination. The '69 has the orriginal 1900 (stuck) and 4spd, correct wheels and center caps, interior is in sad shape, broken windsheild. Body is in reasonable shape (little visible rust) except for damage to rr quarter in front of rr tire. Since I don't have a tittle for the '69 it will be used for parts. The body of the '70 is in approx the same condition. At some point the engine/trans was replaced with a nissan Z 4 cyl/5spd. I believe it is from a mid '80s 2wd Nissan pickup. It uses 2 coils and has 2 plugs per cylinder. It seems to have plenty of power and fits reasonably well although the workmanship leaves much to be desired. Does anyone know of this engine being transplanted in a GT before or have any comments on the matter. I am somewhat inclined to use this combo (after propper instalation) because doing so would free up cash for other areas such as interior/paint/trim. I'm not fully commited to this engine/trans and would welcome constructive comments. I have found another GT in a local salvage yard that seems to have a nearly perfect body. The engine is dissasembled but has many new engine parts in the car. The owner believes that it also has a bad rear axle. He is asking $800 but I think he will take less. Of the three it looks to be the best to start a rebuild. Any thoughts about the price?
I have found the forums to be very informative and realy enjoy the orig vs mod, 4cyl vs 6cyl vs v8 debates. Thanks in advance for all your help,
David

·
452 Posts
Back in 1987 I had a Nissan Stanza with that engine, I believe. It was referred to as the NapZ engine and had around 100 hp it seems. I never had a problem with the engine but put only maybe....75k miles on it. Seemed like it got mid 20s mpg and ran well enough...........the Stanzas of that year were essentially the same body as a Maxima, but with a smaller engine .....and it wasn't a total dog in terms of acceleration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom, are there any sources in our area for new or used parts. I know that there are a couple of large salvage yards in Joplin. Do they have any GTs that you know of. I am looking for a good '70 drivers door panel (black). I found a couple GTs in Aurora But both drivers windows were left down and so the panels are ruined. What Opel do you have, any pics?
Dave

·
648 Posts
If you ever get frustrated finding used parts, there is also
www.opeljunkyard.com. I have bought several odds and ends from him (Dave) over the last few years and he has good prices.
Hope this helps,
Jc

·
Detritus Maximus
2,046 Posts
Dave-

I have several door panels, virtually all of them are black. I can take a look through them if you'd like.

Tony P.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tony P.
That would be most appreciated. Just let me know what you find and how much. Should I describe the passenger panel in order to get a match? I don't know what differences there might be between years or if the passenger panel is correct for my car. As long as I end up with matching black panels I'm happy.

Jc, thanks for the info.

Dave

·
Detritus Maximus
2,046 Posts
Aside from color, the only fifference I can think of offhand is the window winder was moved. I have the parts books, so I can figure out when the changes took place.

·
tomking
2,447 Posts
Dave there are no GTs around here that I know of. I have two I am working on and two others for parts plus a cut down 70 wagon. Why NO, I am not a junkyard! I dont have any good door panels as mine are all pretty ratty. When I have my 70 restored I will probably have an upholster make new ones. Expensive I know but maybe I will come up with some good panels before I get to that. Good Luck.

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
opeldavek, I live in springfield and I just sold my car to a gentleman in Nova Scotia. I can offer you assistance in your opel endeavors, and I also know where there is an opel in really good shape that you can see if they would sell it in Spfd. Get ahold of me when you are in town next and I can show you where it is. Shawn 619 4837

1 - 15 of 15 Posts