Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Been part of this forum since '08 and have read countless hours of topics and pages but never posted before so thought I'd say hello! I've always had a fixation with fixing up rare and unusual 60s & 70s cars for fun. Owned several Mazda Rx2s, Rx3s, Corvairs, Celicas & Corollas, Vegas and such... Then I stumbled on a 68 Kadette Rallye in '07 - my first Opel. It was an adventure! Got plenty of answers to questions here just from reading and OGTS helped me with the rest and parts as I discovered they aren't that far away from me and NOT something you can just go to Auto Zone and have em look up (apparently Opels aren't even listed in the system lol - which makes it even more exciting)! I ended up selling it to a gentleman who saw it at our local Friday downtown car show. I had to - he was practically in tears with the story of how he hadn't seen one in over 30+ years and it was just like the one his parents had. Well now I stumbled upon my next Opel. It's a 75 Manta. Had to have it - 1 year only model, stashed in a little old lady's garage for 15 years undriven because her husband had passed and she couldn't drive a stick... Started right up with fresh hoses, oil, gas and a battery. I went through it all - replaced gaskets, injectors, pertronix, some new rubber, everything to bring it up to par and it's ran great for last 2 years but now the motor is tired and running rough... #2 cyl finally got down to 65-70 on the compression test, other 3 are around 100, she's starting to seep coolant on the driverside head at #2, the shift shaft seal is leaking again and I just feel she's ready to get overhauled all around. So I'm back at it scouring the forums for ideas and how to's while I'm pulling her apart for a new engine/tranny combo, paint and powder coating. Anyways thought I'd just drop a line, say hello and thank you all for this amazing dedicated site!
CAM00115.jpg

·
Registered
692 Posts
Very nice ! The Jade Grün color looks good. An SR or GT/E stripe kit would be the icing on the cake.
:) And please swap to the earlier small bumpers instead of the present battering rams.:) Now I will probably receive a load of anti-aircraft guns for saying it loud.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely on my list! I've thought about just taking em off and patching the holes but don't want it to get hit. Right now my focus is on which motor to put in... I'm not gonna hack it up by putting in a non-Opel motor. I know my 75 Block with the crappy rods and crackprone Head (which I suspect is the current case) arent worth rebuilding - atleast from what I've read. Maybe the block with different rods and bored out but not the head... It's getting a Getrag for sure. I'm gonna keep it EFI, most likely a MS setup as I've done that before on 2 other cars but could do a motronic setup. My biggest question is 2.4, 2.2 or 2.0... Typically I always go big as in the past I've kicked myself later... I've read a LOT - the wealth of information on here is almost overwhelming!

·
Vendor
2,572 Posts
Thanks for checking in. It looks like you found yourself another fun project.
I agree with Commodåren about the post 1973 bumpers in terms of the aesthetics,
but definitely keep those 8-spoke chrome wheels (awesome!)
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Ron in FL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bay Area - Contra Costa County, about 35 miles N.E. of of SF and 125 miles west of OGTS 😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts