Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm Cfinley, I'm an amateur mechanic and a lover of obscure sports cars and other 1970's Trinkets, which is why I just bought an Opel GT for $300. I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure what exactly to say, but hello! Glad to meet you!

·
Senior Contributor
1,515 Posts
Welcome aboard,Cfinley ..Hello Lots of Good Information and People to Help here on Your New Adventure with the Opel GT for $300
So let's See what you have , Please post up some photo's and year? Theme? Story of your new Trinket :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard,Cfinley ..Hello Lots of Good Information and People to Help here on Your New Adventure with the Opel GT for $300
So let's See what you have , Please post up some photo's and year? Theme? Story of your new Trinket :)
Sure! It's still on craigslist, but we're buying it in a few days.

It's a 1970 GT that I found after a project for a 1962 Studebaker fell through, and I was kinda down, so I looked for the cheapest thing I could find. Lo and behold, I found one of my favorite sports cars from the 60's and 70's in a tacky paint-job in need of my help. I'm unsure if I want to restore, or restomod it. The paint job just makes me smile. I love the tacky paint from whatever era it was painted in.

·
RunOpel
1,234 Posts
Welcome aboard Cfinley and congratulations on becoming an Opel GT owner. After you get it home, how about a few more pictures like interior, engine and all sides :). Well with just the one picture, I have seen worse for $300. Hopefully, there is not a major amount of rust, especially at the floor panels and belly area.
This is by far the best resource you will ever find with the most experienced and super nice Opel owners around. Good luck and look forward to watching your progress.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
If you want to sell the rims after you buy it let me know. I have been looking for a set like those if they are in good shape , may pay the car off and you get it for free

·
Registered
528 Posts
The paint job just makes me smile.
It does a good job of distracting you from how crappy the rest of the car likely is :D

Wheels look like they're from a '73, not a '70.

Windshield looks intact, that's probably worth the $300.

Looks like it was struck by something beachball-sized on the driver's door and rear fender.

You can quickly get into a project where you're spending more to fix it than if you just spent more on a better car. There've been a few here that people intended to restore and then just threw in the towel after the neverending rust rot. The kind of car that if you submerged into a vat of EvapoRust overnight, you'd come back to paint, glass, and a few scraps of fabric the next morning.

Have you looked at it in person?

The typical death is the rockers, and then the areas in front of and behind the fenders. Just about everything else should be obvious and fixable.

Sounds like you know what you're getting into with a $300 field car that's more planter than vehicle, share more pics as you work your way through it. I like these builds. There's no penalty in taking a swing at it, it was garbage when you bought it, can't get any worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does a good job of distracting you from how crappy the rest of the car likely is :D

Wheels look like they're from a '73, not a '70.

Windshield looks intact, that's probably worth the $300.

Looks like it was struck by something beachball-sized on the driver's door and rear fender.

You can quickly get into a project where you're spending more to fix it than if you just spent more on a better car. There've been a few here that people intended to restore and then just threw in the towel after the neverending rust rot. The kind of car that if you submerged into a vat of EvapoRust overnight, you'd come back to paint, glass, and a few scraps of fabric the next morning.

Have you looked at it in person?

The typical death is the rockers, and then the areas in front of and behind the fenders. Just about everything else should be obvious and fixable.

Sounds like you know what you're getting into with a $300 field car that's more planter than vehicle, share more pics as you work your way through it. I like these builds. There's no penalty in taking a swing at it, it was garbage when you bought it, can't get any worse.
My father and I are both mechanics and we enjoy building hot rods, so I have no idea if this is against the Opel GT equivalent of the Geneva conventions, but we were going to take the ratted out insides, and turn it into an autocross machine. Try and mount an LS motor in it, I found one from a wrecked camaro. Currently still working on logistics. We have several other projects going on at the moment.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I think that car is really only good for parts. Looks like it is missing the front lower pan section too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that car is really only good for parts. Looks like it is missing the front lower pan section too.
I've actually been talking with my father about it, we're probably going to be buying 2 other opels as well.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've actually been talking with my father about it, we're probably going to be buying 2 other opels as well.
Love it.

Never one to let a fresh corpse go to waste, I too stitched together a couple. Or tried to. I look forward to watching your build. Take lots of pics.

Too late now but maybe I should've switched you cars, one of the two I bought already had the trans tunnel removed, concensus opinion was once upon a time to fit a V8 in it but we'll never know, as I bought it from the estate sale of a passed away hoarder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Little bit of an update, but I had a discussion with my father, we may just buy the ones @krewzer posted, and restore them. Though title for the nicer one is an issue, we may turn it into a little track car. I'm currently writing a proposal. (For context, I am 19. My father, we'll call him "Pops" until he joins the forum himself)

Anyhow, I hope to be a proper member of the forums! I did want to mention what got me into opels in the first place, my mother, who owned one in 1974, had a silver GT with a black painted rear end, nice little car.

·
Opeler
1,407 Posts
You know what's funny? I just called the guy, and we're gonna visit the car later this week.
Crikey, He could at least roll the windows up on that thing. Santa Fe is near Galveston and so that car probably gets 50-70 inches of rain in the floorboards every year!
By the way. what part of the state are you in? North, Central or Coast?
Happy hunting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crikey, He could at least roll the windows up on that thing. Santa Fe is near Galveston and so that car probably gets 50-70 inches of rain in the floorboards every year!
By the way. what part of the state are you in? North, Central or Coast?
Happy hunting!
That one's the parts car, the one in the best condition is in a barn out of shot.

·
RunOpel
1,234 Posts
Cfinley I think you caught the Opel virus and unfortunately there is no cure :)
Sounds like you and your dad have a good plan. Happy Opel hunting and restoring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts