Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Well I completed the valve spring installation and placed the head onto the block. When installing the camshaft I noticed that the rear oil return (port? galley? hole?) looked damaged. By this I mean that it appears to have a small piece broken away within the opening. The oil return is located by the camshaft access panel at the rear of the head. I have no idea when this could have happened but because the engine looked great when it was stripped that I don't think it occured when the engine was running. It may have been like this from the factory, who knows.
My question is should I grind the area down to remove the sharp edges and even out the opening? Will this have any negative effect on the engine by leaving it as it is? I am including a few pics, quality is not the best.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
Totally normal for a CIH. I always deburr CIH heads when overhauling them because there are numerous sharp cast iron edges that tend to fragment over time, leaving the debris in the oil pan eventually. But what you have there is nothing out of the ordinary.

HTH,
Bob

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RallyBob;
Thanks for the response. I guess I can commence with some deburring and continue with assembly of the head. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts