Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GT Lover
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.4L in my gt that is in desperate need of a rebuild! Can anyone here recommend a shop that can make this engine high performance and dependable? I am located in central CA and any help would be great. Thanks in advance and happy Opeling !

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I'm not to familiar with the shops up in the Salinas area, but you may want to get hold of OGTS at Tuolumne, CA, a shade under 200 miles from you, and see if they can help you out, either recommending someone or doing the rebuild for you.

·
GT Lover
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didn't think of that

hey thanks :) that is a great idea I will give Gil a call and see what he says about it.

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
2.4 rebuild

Hi I know of 2 2.4motors for sale.

Admittidly they're a long way away.....over the pond, but for $2500 each plus shipping you'll end up with a brand new motor.

If I'd known about them before I started on my own 2.4 upgrade I'd have jumped at the chance.....mines cost me a fortune and on being ready for dropping back into the GT this Sunday I received a call on Wednesday saying, 'Bad news, the head has a hole in it!'........I remained as calm as possible, but thats $700 down the drain and I now have to build up my spare head to the same spec........and it's only 4weeks til Le Mans!!!!

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
opelphile said:
I have a 2.4L in my gt that is in desperate need of a rebuild! Can anyone here recommend a shop that can make this engine high performance and dependable? I am located in central CA and any help would be great. Thanks in advance and happy Opeling !
Most any reputable machine shop should be able to do the rebuild. I had a local shop rebuild my 2.0L and they did an awesome job. You may have to put them in contact with Gil for replacement parts though.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i think the engine is not to far in design from 1 of the yank 6 cylinder engines so an engine rebuilder would have a good idea what to do + if you have a work shop man to let him /her use it would be ok after all bearings are bearings and rings are rings

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
The hard part of a 2.4 overhaul is the parts availability. The rod bearings are unique to the 2.4, as are the rings and the valve seals. I don't believe even OGTS stocks those parts, but you could have Deves or Total Seal custom make the rings for you. Other than that, the rebuild process is straightforward and pretty much identical to any other CIH Opel engine.

Bob

·
GT Lover
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
much thanks

:D Thanks for all the info guys. I have not torn apart the motor yet but I know the rings are going and I'm fairly certain my guides may be a bit worn also, neither the front or rear main are leaking any oil as far as I can see. Basically I was hoping to milk some more ponies out of it and have a nice fresh engine for my GT! I suppose I could go with a replacement 2.4 and try and to sell the one I have. I guess I will have to research my options . Thanks again for the help!!!!

·
GT Lover
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
more info please

Motor Mouth said:
Hi I know of 2 2.4motors for sale.

Admittidly they're a long way away.....over the pond, but for $2500 each plus shipping you'll end up with a brand new motor.

If I'd known about them before I started on my own 2.4 upgrade I'd have jumped at the chance.....mines cost me a fortune and on being ready for dropping back into the GT this Sunday I received a call on Wednesday saying, 'Bad news, the head has a hole in it!'........I remained as calm as possible, but thats $700 down the drain and I now have to build up my spare head to the same spec........and it's only 4weeks til Le Mans!!!!
Hey do you have some more information on these motors, like specs and who to contact, thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts