Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm getting an annoying squeak from where the rear sway bar attaches to the body. I've never dealt with this before so I'd like some advice. They are polyurethane bushings (red).

Is it as simple as just unbolting it and applying some grease?
Or even simpler, spraying some WD40?
Where do you get grease for this kind of thing?

Thanks,

Manny

·
Registered
98 Posts
You could try to get some lithium grease up there, or take it apart and apply some graphite to the bushings...seems like that is what I did... CRS, it's been too long... ;)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Manny, the recommended grease for the Poly Bushings is "Teflon" grease. At least that what comes from OGTS when they send out their new Poly Bushings.

HTH.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
More specifically, if you want to buy it in 'bulk', you want to get Neo (the brand) synthetic 'Watercraft' grease. It's the same stuff that's repackaged and sold in little plastic bags by the urethane manufacturing companies, but a full grease cartridge's worth of it is only about $12.

Baker Precision carries this stuff.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RallyBob said:
More specifically, if you want to buy it in 'bulk', you want to get Neo (the brand) synthetic 'Watercraft' grease. It's the same stuff that's repackaged and sold in little plastic bags by the urethane manufacturing companies, but a full grease cartridge's worth of it is only about $12.

Baker Precision carries this stuff.
Thanks Bob,

Manny

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Me Too, Thanx Bob, I'm getting ready to disassemble the front end of my GT and I wanted to liberally lube the individual spring leafs like I read on the list somewhere to do. It'll be a total teardown, clean, treat and paint. Same as the rest of the car. I think I need much more time, August is fast approaching, and my dash just left to get rebuilt. I might be in the same boat you are, more to do than the alloted time and I might not make it to OMC, at least not with the GT. :(

Ron

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
A better way to quiet the springs I've found is to use thin (1/16") teflon or HDPE plastic strips and line the leaf pack with them. I'm doing this for Gary's front suspension rebuild after I complete the turbo Manta project. I'm also using Delrin AF bushings for that suspension, as they do not ever squeak like the poly ones do.

Bob

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
That's cool Bob, I've got a roll of Teflon tape, but it's only 1/4" wide, so I won't have enough to do the springs. Plus I've already got the Poly bushings from OGTS. On a side note I tried to get to Baker Precision and they're extremely busy on the phone lines, I couldn't tell them their website is screwed up, I couldn't get to the Neo product line. So I had to go to one of their competitors to get the grease. 14 oz. for about $10-15 including shipping. Plus both Neo and Baker Precision have the same phone numbers, kinda weird. :confused:

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts