Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i was listening to the radio and it went calm. no sound was coming out. the cd player was working tho. and every time i turn on my head lights it turns on. help!!!! could it be the fuse in the back of the cd player burnt out???? and about the wiring how could i just get it to work when i turn the key????? please tell me its nothing serious!!!!!

·
Driver
987 Posts
If the antenna wiggled out of the back of the unit, you would generally get silence instead of static, unless you turned it way up, then you would hear static.
What turns on with your headlights? The radio or the CD player?
Is it getting power w/ the headlights? Can you turn it on when the headlights are off? It really depends on where the stereo is getting it's hot source from. Is this a PO install or did you do it?

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
stereo

For the radio, I'd check to see if I had power to them at the appropriate times. Constant power for the memory and switched with the ignition for the radio. Check your power sources and grounds, make sure they are good. Did you accidently ground your speaker wires while putting the molding around the doors, or the installing the rear deck etc.. Sometimes it takes a while when a wire gets mashed to ground out. Is the cd player separate from the rest of the radio or an in dash cd player? Am I understanding you correctly that the radio/cd only works when the headlights are on, or is it that it only makes sound when the head lights are on? Was it working fine with the headlights off before and suddenly changed to working only when the headlights are on. Anything else weird going on with the electrical system? Blinkers etc..

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cd player

ok, i took oldopelguys advice in putting in my cd player... he told me to hook up the yellow wire to the fourth fuse, red to any of the three on the farthest from the drivers side(right). black ground to something metal.(chassis).... well i did that.... it worked good for two days, until today....... i have the put the key in and turn it, then push the button to start thingy. well I leave my headlights up and when i turn the key all the way the lights come on and so does the cd player. when i filp the lights over the cd player stops working.... i was ok how it worked because I always keep my lights up. i would like to change it tho... every thing is hooked up for it to work how it was working..I checked atleast 50 times...:D well here is the story... i took out my seats from my 71 gt. i was putting in new carpet... my brother comes out to finaly get to here my cd player.. i turn it to a fm station... it was working really good.. then nothing all all would come out of the speakers... the cd player is hooked up with the antenna. i try a cd it doesnt make the sound. so then i looked at the hook ups, nothing wrong... (i think). could it be the fuse in the back of the cd player???? go here to see the (system) if it helps: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...oduct_id=2360957&path=0:3944:3947:96481:14632 . if you have any more questions, ask me because i can help you help me.:D

·
1,973 Posts
could there be a polarity difference in the speaker wiring (crossed wire)? they may work backwards for ever or for a while.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Sounding really good might have been cranked up really loud? Check the fuse to the radio, do that first if it is easy to get to. You might have blew a fuse on the fuse box where the power supply was coming from. Do you have a test light to check with? If you are getting power to the red and yellow wires past the inline fuses of the wires coming out of the radio, that means the power should be getting to the radio. If then it's still not working, I'd check your speaker wires to make sure they are not grounded to the frame anywhere.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, ok, it was loud....

i dont have it to check it, but the cd player takes a 10a fuse so i think im gonna check it out tomorrow. i has to be something simple

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think it has to be the fuse!!

i thought about it again and it cant be the fuse at the fuse block becuase the headlights would not work either. and the cd palyer ets power just not the speakers, i am pretty sure it is that fuse on the back of the cd player itself. if not i'll leave more posts tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Re: cd player

Willy_g77 said:
ok, i took oldopelguys advice in putting in my cd player... he told me to hook up the yellow wire to the fourth fuse, red to any of the three on the farthest from the drivers side(right).

No, the drivers side of the car in America is the LEFT side of the car, that would be the one closest to the wall and farthest from the center of the car, or the "outboard" side for you nautical types. If you look at the front of the fuse box, from the drivers seat, the red wire needs to be hooked up to one of the first 3 fuses on the LEFT, as in "first" like when you read a book. The yellow wire needs to be hooked up to the fourth one from the left, the fuse closest to the 4 nuts on the wall side of the fuse box.

The four fuses on the right side of the 4 nuts in the middle, that is the inboard side, or the side closest the center of the car, are for lights and it makes good sense that if you hooked the red wire there the radio will not work without the lights on.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Make it easy on yourself and the older fuse panel. Go to R.Shack and get a small fuse panel which uses the new style fuse. Wire it in direct from the battery. Then wire it like the inst. says. Also don't use the chassis as a speaker ground. Most of the new music systems like a dedicated ground for the speakers (color w/ blk stripe) and if you have a weak inigtion switch, you may end up having to reset the mem every so often.
My 2c's.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry about that

im sorry about that oldopelguy, i get what you are saying.... I still want to hook it up your way.... so if i put the red one on the left side will it work???? when i turn the key will it turn on????? or if not how will it? why did it work earlier but not now?

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
It worked before because with the headlights up they are on, which sent power to the radio on the fuse you were on.
With both wires on the correct fuses the radio will work any time the car is turned on.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you, your truly a lifesaver

hey, well im going to do that first thing tomorrow. but one last question.... why did the speakers stop working, the cd player still worked???

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
what do you mean by "working"

Was the display still lit up and the CD spinning with no sound? Were you able to change tracks and such without hearing anything? If so, either all of your speaker wires came disconnected at the same time or the head unit is probably toast. A short to ground in one of the speaker wires might have fried the internal amplifier in the stereo. Most of the "low end" stereo's don't incorporate protection for that kind of fault.

If by working you mean you were able to eject and insert CDs and maybe the clock was on, that might be normal.

This all happened when you were moving speaker wires around, didn't it? perhaps one cought a sharp edge and shorted out to the chassis. Hopefully it's something silly like the plug working partially loose in the back of the head unit, but it's pretty doubtful.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the cd player works normal just no sound

it works normal just no sound. all the wires are conected. i really think it is the fuse on the back of the cd player, now that you mention it. it is a 10a fuse. well i hope it is anyways. it will take cds and give them back. i think it will work like an amplifier, if a fuse is burnt out on them no sound will go to the speakers or subwoofers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts