Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Re: cd player

Willy_g77 said:
ok, i took oldopelguys advice in putting in my cd player... he told me to hook up the yellow wire to the fourth fuse, red to any of the three on the farthest from the drivers side(right).

No, the drivers side of the car in America is the LEFT side of the car, that would be the one closest to the wall and farthest from the center of the car, or the "outboard" side for you nautical types. If you look at the front of the fuse box, from the drivers seat, the red wire needs to be hooked up to one of the first 3 fuses on the LEFT, as in "first" like when you read a book. The yellow wire needs to be hooked up to the fourth one from the left, the fuse closest to the 4 nuts on the wall side of the fuse box.

The four fuses on the right side of the 4 nuts in the middle, that is the inboard side, or the side closest the center of the car, are for lights and it makes good sense that if you hooked the red wire there the radio will not work without the lights on.

· Premium Member
1,796 Posts
It worked before because with the headlights up they are on, which sent power to the radio on the fuse you were on.
With both wires on the correct fuses the radio will work any time the car is turned on.

· Premium Member
1,796 Posts
what do you mean by "working"

Was the display still lit up and the CD spinning with no sound? Were you able to change tracks and such without hearing anything? If so, either all of your speaker wires came disconnected at the same time or the head unit is probably toast. A short to ground in one of the speaker wires might have fried the internal amplifier in the stereo. Most of the "low end" stereo's don't incorporate protection for that kind of fault.

If by working you mean you were able to eject and insert CDs and maybe the clock was on, that might be normal.

This all happened when you were moving speaker wires around, didn't it? perhaps one cought a sharp edge and shorted out to the chassis. Hopefully it's something silly like the plug working partially loose in the back of the head unit, but it's pretty doubtful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.