Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help

My 73 gt is idleing to high I tried to adjust the timing and my timing mark seemd to be gone, and when I shut it down the engine diesels, I followed the book but without timing marks I am lost thank you so much.

·
Opeler
90 Posts
have you tried adjusting your idle screw on the carb? most of the time the car still wants to run because the carb is spitting too much gas into the the cylinders. By the way the timing mark is in the bell housing. if you look past the intake and exhaust manifold you will see a window with a notch. there is also a ball bearing inbeaded in to the flywheel. Use a timing light to line up the ball bearing with the notch. when its on you are timed. hope this helps

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Sean if it has points you need to start there. set the dwell and then the timing. Also check for leaks using starter fluid or carb cleaner around the base of the carb.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
You can set the timing without the engine running. Slowly rotate the engine until the ball on the flywheel matches up with the pointer. At this point your are Top Dead Center(TDC) of Piston # 1 and #4. The outer tip of the rotor on the distributer should be centered at the notch on the distributer. If it is 180 degrees off, rotate the engine one complete turn and it should be there. If the rotor isn't exactly in the center of the mark in the distributer, loosen the set screw on the distributer until the rotor is in the middle of the mark and then retighen. You have now set the timing to TDC.

I agree with the previous posts about the set screw and vacuum leaks. In addition, disconned the vacuum line to the brake booster and plug the port at the manifold. If the idle calms down, then you have a bad brake booster.

One more thing. To set the timing when the engine is running, you must disconnect and plug the vacuum lines to the distributer and have the choke completly open.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I will do these things, I do think I have a bad booster, I have to push pretty hard to get the car to stop. But I did drive it around a little and even running rough I love it, it is a lot of fun, when this thing gets right wow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more thing I can't get my gas cap off, the key turns but the cap does not come off, I have a third of tank left if the gauge is right.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
MC with banjos and a booster, Ok got it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
73 gt man said:
One more thing I can't get my gas cap off, the key turns but the cap does not come off, I have a third of tank left if the gauge is right.
When you turn the key does the cap spin?- that is the locked position.
Turn the key and no spin- this is the unlock position- turn the cap clockwise and it should come off> :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts