Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I could just post a pic, but the batteries in my digital camera died.

On my '73 GT w/1900 engine, there is what appears to be a sending unit that goes into the block on the passenger side, below and to the rear of where the carb sits. It's about 1-2" in diameter, and I can see a VDO marking. There seem to be 2 wires going to it (one of them is frayed), and there is a 3rd disconnected wire just dangling near there.

I can't figure out what the unit or the wires are in any of my service manuals. Can anyone identify these? This may explain some quirks I've noticed with my gauges.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
That is the oil pressure sending unit. It has two wires going to it. It is located just behind the exhaust manifold and about mid way up and down on the block. The only other wire that comes to mind on that side is the temp sending wire. That would be on the thermostat housing. It could also be for an electric choke. Temp wire is blue and both sending wires are blue/green. Normally the three are burnt and frayed from getting hot for 30 years, especially the oil pressure sending wires. Hope that helps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, nobody, for the info. I'll bet the loose wire was for an electric choke. My old Solex had a water choke, and when I went to a Weber, I ran a new wire for its electric choke. Guess a PO converted the original EC to a WC, and just left the old wire dangling. Lucky it didn't short out since it wasn't taped up or anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts