Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Me......

alright everyone, tyler needs help with his GT. so i broke all the pistons and valves and the water pump loose after being totally seized (see the end of the post "IT'S ALIVE" by husker) rusted, and i go to try to start her via the "pour gas in the carb and crank" method....but nothing happens, she just keeps cranking. is something up with my plugs, maybe? how do i tell if i have a decent spark or not? should i change the points and the plugs and all that...?? aaaah! i was all excited about getting it started and now it wont do ANYTHING. kinda annoyed. any feedback you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
It's great that you were able to break the internals loose, but do you really think the cylinder walls are going to be OK after it having seized up with rust like that? My guess would be no, but I've never tried it before. You may want to run some compression tests before you invest too much time into this motor.

As for spark, remove one of your spark plugs and then re-attach the plug wire to it. Set the body of the plug against a good ground so that it won't fall off during cranking. You could use the block or head or part of the body. It should be paint free though as paint doesn't conduct electricity very well. Now crank the motor and look for a spark in the plug gap. An alternative is a little device that installs between the plug wire and the plug. It has a little light bulb in it that will illuminate when the plug fires. It's nice in that you don't have to remove the spark plug. They're usually only a few dollars at the local 'dollar/discount' store.

-Travis

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if it has been sitting that long, it will probably take a while to start it back up, even if you do have spark. if your choke does not work then you will need an assistant, such as your little brother again. you can choke the car with your hand, but covering the top of the carb with your palm, while somebody else cranks the motor over. and a compression test would also be a good idea. 120 is nice to have, but since it was froze i'd be guessing more like 60, and it will still run on sixty, as mine used to with the old motor i had in it. it just wont be so peppy like it should be.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
you can choke the car with your hand, but covering the top of the carb with your palm, while somebody else cranks the motor over

where i said but covering the top of the carb, i meant to say BY covering the carb. correcting a spelling error.

and be patient with getting it started back up. it took my 52 packard i used to have 3 days and killed a battery 13 times before it fired up. it sat for 14 and was fortunately still free!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm sounds interesting. how do i run a compression test? you guys have to forgive me here for not knowing....and another thing. what kind of spark plugs does my GT take? i remember way back when i tried to get it going the first time it was really hard to find the right thing for my car. and btw....how do i tell if my choke is working or not? thanks!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i just bought new plugs for mine a couple weeks ago and i agree, they are very hard to find, i had to special order mine. i would have to look at the numbers again. and you can not really tell if the choke is working until the car is running for a good while....since you have a electric choke solex. you want the choke plate open for the time being as of right now.

·
371 Posts
hey thats good, so every one telling you that motor is screwed?
i would not give up on it yet, yes some damage is likely, but not a fact. i had a 84 olds, that motor size three time in, my dad and me got it free every time, with a little oil and a big long pri bar. the compresion was fine, it had lost a couple of pounds but not bad still passed i.m, and it lasted tell 92. when the guy we sold the car two was trying to pull a trailer up the moutain!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah im thinkin that it's the fact that i dont have spark yet. ordered new plugs today, and i'll clean out the points tomorrow, maybe we'll see sucessful ignition yet!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright, now tyler's getting frustrated. i have spark in all four plugs (they're the old ones tho) and i dont know how good of a spark it is....but the thing wont fire up. ive dumped so much gas into the carb that it's draning out the holes in the end of my exhaust pipe....why isn't the gas burning? i have new plugs coming next week, maybe that'll solve it.

·
82 Posts
DON'T USE GAS, USE STARTING FLUID! You may have flooded it. Is the gas really old? That can be a problem. If it is, and even if it does start, it can gum up your engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah HA! that would make sense. i guess i'll just wait for the gas (which is new, btw) to evaporate or drain or whatever. starting fluid. why didnt i think of that before? and speaking of gas, does anyone know how to remove a gas tank? ive gotten 3/4 of the way, but something seems to still be attached on the drivers side and i cant see what it is. any feedback would be nice...thanks, guys!

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Sorry guys, I am from the old school. If the engine was stuck, you only have one option. Take it out and take it apart. If you do get it to start, there is no telling what other damage you could do. After 20 years of setting my GT engine was tight, not stuck. I took it out and found a very dry wrist pin. If I would have started it, I am sure the rod and/or the cylinder would have been damaged. It is cheeper to take it out and fix it.
Just my way of doing things.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
there was somebody on here a few weeks ago trying to sell a GT motor and trans for 200 bucks. sounds good, they say it runs good and they just pulled it out of a 72 gt i believe. hey atleast this way you wont have to worry about your clutch going to hell after a few days of driving it.....rust on the flywheel tears them things up faster than you'd believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maybe i need to just quit while i'm ahead, then. i definitely dont have the time or money to pay for an engine swap (seeing as how there's no WAY i could pull it off myself) and...well, i'm just generally discouraged about this whole project. thanks everyone, you've been a big help....but maybe i should focus on projects i can actually accomplish.
thanks again.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
dont just go and hang it up quite yet. who said you need an engine swap? if you have spark and fuel, with correct timing it should run. and like others have said, pick up a GT motor for like 100 bucks. people on here would be more than glad to help you out. you just gotta figure the car out first, then fix it. when i got my car i had all kinds of stuff wrong with it and i only have 150 bucks worth of parts into it, so dont get discouraged too easily.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts