Opel GT Forum banner

HELP MEEE PLEASE! I have an Opel gt and don't know what to do with it.

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  The Scifi Guy 
#1 ·
Hi everybody! So I have my late father's 71 or 73 Opel GT. This car was professionally and VERY beautifully restored from top to bottom and end to end about five years ago. Although, unfortunately it was in a semi-small accident recently. The extent of the damage is not terrible. Basically the front driver side corner(fender, headlight, part of bumper, windshield) will need some replacement parts. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on the likelihood of me finding replacement body parts/whole body, or fixing the damaged metal. Or if I would be better off selling what I can from this, or the whole car, to someone who needs it. Appreciate all replies and advice. Pictures coming soon! This car is SO BEAUTIFUL with brand new paint job and undercoating and frame paint, it's a terrible shame to have it just sitting around. And honoring my late father by doing something with it would make me feel great! Please help!

Matt.

#2 ·
Matt;
As you said, it's better to wait till you get pictures posted to see how bad the damage is. On rebuild, is it going to be an insurance issue, or out of pocket? Are you going to do the work, or have a bodyman do it? Parts can be gotten, it's just whether you want to mess with it or not.

#3 ·
No insurance, all out of pocket. If i have to fix the damaged stuff I will hire the work out to a body shop. Or if I have to cut out and weld in new sections of body. But if I could find a decent body for a decent price I will swap everything over myself.

#4 ·
I have a complete rfont clip I would let go cheap. The expensive part would be getting it from the West coast to the East coast. If insurance is picking up the tab it might not be too bad.

#9 · (Edited)
There's a lot to consider in order for you to make a descision. We'll definitely need pictures of the engine compartment, interior, maybe some underneath shots, and of course the outside and the battle damage.

Questions:
What's it worth for you to fix? $2000? $5000? $10000?
Is there sentimental value to this car? Our own Keith Lundholm(opelspyder) down in Tennessee is a master Opel restorer and he would fix it right and perfect and give it back to you BETTER than new.
Are you in a hurry or can you wait up to a year or two to gather the parts, know how, or find someone to fix it?
The headlights could be a big problem to fix completely. You could fix them so that they stay up all the time and don't rotate, that would eliminate a lot of work.
Do you plan on driving it regularly or will it be a weekends only garage queen, like most of our cars?

My Red Baron car has had the whole right front corner(headlight assy, wheel well, frame rail, and fender) torched off another car and installed 25 years ago. It's slightly misaligned and has caused me endless trouble. On the other hand, Markandson's car, which is one of the best GT's in the country, has had the entire front clip from the firewall forward replaced with one from another car. So, it's definitely possible to go nuclear and end up with a really sweet ride.

Considering my car's issues, it might actually be cheaper with less chance to screw things up, to replace the entire front end like that, rather than to try to repair a crumpled corner.

There's two red GT's sitting under car covers at a repair shop just 5 miles from my house just waiting for someone to make him an offor. If you're patient and serious about fixing this car, your fellow northeastern Opelers will come forward with cars that you could cannibalize.

Getting a front clip from out West, as has been offered to you, actually isn't that bad an idea. Yeah, shipping would be $500-$1000, but then you would simply need to have it welded on and the car painted. I'm thinking $3000-$5000 if you pay someone to do it.

We need some pics to help us help you. Post #6 of this thread will lead you to how to upload pics:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/general-discussions/29687-how-does-site-photo-system-work.html

Who knows, maybe an afternoon spent with a ball peen hammer will fix you all up.......

:veryhappy

#11 ·
GT's in Rochester

I know of a couple GT's in Ontario,NY. One used to be mine and is rather rusty but straight. If it is still there, I would guess he would sell it. Another one in the same town is in a large barn but I can't recall its shape. Not sure it is available due to the guy being a collector of cars. But at least an idea of some hope for local parts.
Joe

#12 ·
I use Hagerty Ins. they are more lax ed on the driving restrictions compared to others that I looked at. Please up load some pics of the damage, if the car is that pristine, then you are better to fix it than to pick up another one that needs lots of work, especially out of the north with salt:ugh:

#14 ·
Depending on the damage, a good body shop can repair almost anything. Go to one that knows how to work on "old" metal. The metal on the GT is thicker than what they use today.

Go to this thread and you will see the extent of the damage from a Sr. Citizen did to my GT and the body shop was able to work it all out.
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/general-discussions/16057-sh-t-happens-2.html

You can get replacement Stainless Steel bumpers from OGTS.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.