Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Need A List Of Some Parts!!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the necessary things that I should start buying to begin my opel restoration process. Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly valued!

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Should probably start with a car, then work from there!
Seriously, what kind of Opel?

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Give all the details you know in terms of it's history, how it runs, does it already have any upgrades, any rust? What level of restoration are you looking to achieve? Every car will need different things. If it's a beater that you picked up cheap and you want to restore it, my experience has been to assess your car's needs, then try to find a parts car that fits those needs. You'll find that to be one of the most cost-effective ways to get your car in decent shape. My first GT had a decent body but the interior was in poor shape. I was able to find a rust bucket that had been under a tarp for 10+ years and had a great interior. I bought the entire car for $150, removed and cleaned the old interior, and found that I had a gold mine of nice interior parts and a nice buffer of spare parts if the need ever arose. Shop wisely and buy only the parts that you need, and realize up front that it's going to cost you at least 3x what you think to restore. Just knowing and accepting this fact up front will help you deal with the pain and $hock of getting your car where you want it to be.

My $0.02 worth...
Todd K.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
For the amount of time that it has been sitting I'd start by draining all liquids and replacing the rubber items like hoses and belts. A pic or two and maybe a bit more on what you've found so far could only help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts