Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I own a 1974 Opel Manta that currently needs a new sending unit for the gas tank, the sending unit connection is broken and cant receive any power. So there is no reading to the gas gauge showing up. If anyone knows anything about the subject please comment anything that would help. If you know anyone that would sell a working sending unit please provide details and a contact number. Thanks for your time and have a good day.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There are a lot of existing posts on that subject that discuss the methods of testing your sending unit to tell if it is the gas gauge or the sending unit, both could be bad, don't assume. I went through all of that but don't recall all of the details or I would just post that for you. If your sending unit turns out to be bad I would recommend that you purchase the original replacement, not the reproduction, if needed, it is more expensive but reliable. The first thing I would do is attach another ground wire and go from there. Again follow the threads on how to test both the sending unit and the gas gauge to determine which is bad.
Fuel Gauge Sender Unit
Fuel Tank Sending Unit
Fuel Sending Unit: New VDO?
Gt fuel sending unit
Fuel tank sending unit
Brand New Fuel Sending Unit, Gauge reads full?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm assuming you have lost the stud off the sending unit. Your best bet is to buy new but you may be able to braise a new lug onto the broken stud. I replaced the cork while it was out with one from the hardware store.

Attachments

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,906 Posts
The 50 series chassis' (Manta and Ascona) is a different sending unit than the GT.

If no one has one here, then you might try Opel GT Source to see if they have a used one around. Next would be Opels Unlimited, also in CA.

As noted, you might manage to solder or braze a new connection in place; I would solder on a short wire jumper with another stab-on terminal attached, and then secure that jumper in place to prevent any strain on the soldered connection.

If you want to test the present sending unit by testing through the remaining stub on the connection (to see if it is worth saving), the expected resistance shoudl be around 40 ohms + or - with a full tank. (I am pretty sure that a lower tank level will result in a higher resistance reading on the sender; you may find that info already in an old post.) You will need a volt-ohmeter in ohms mode.

·
Opeler
565 Posts
FWIW- I have tried to find sending units for the Kadett. No new ones that I know of. However, I have noticed that VW Type III uses one that looks very similar. I wonder if it fits...... I will find on line and post a pic and link.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts