Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! Why No Spark????

Ok, I have a '72 GT,auto, it's been stored for a long time(body is mint, and waiting for paint, "Fire glow", the motor is rebuilt
and has zero miles.)
PROB:
I'm getting no spark at the plugs, points, or coil wire. It does
turn over with the key. What is it I'm missing???? Could it
be the starter solenoid??
(It has 2 blade connections). The starter switch????
The coil is new,wires are good, I will replace points,
cap,rotor, and condenser this weekend.
Thanks, for any help/ideas

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the prob. All of my books (dealer manual,clymer...)
only show wiring for GT with manual tranny, with no
mention of neutral safty switch wires! How about that.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
What does an Opel Neutral Safety Switch do?

I have been re-organizing the older threads into the new categories, and I have been reading them as I do it. Here is one that I don't "get" the answer, even if it was supplied by the author. Why would a "neutral safety switch" cause a lack of spark? Wouldn't (shouldn't) it cause a lack of "cranking" (as in interrupt the circuit to the starter solenoid)? Never having owned a Automatic Opel, curious minds want to know!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
how odd

I looked through my books and he was right. There is no mention in FSM any year 72 and back of GT auto tranny switches. I found it for Manta, 1900, and wagons. All of those depending on year kill the starter, years very whether it goes through seatbelt switching first or not. In looking at the prints I can only imagine what Opel did in a GT, especially 73 with all the seatbelt stuff. I for one would have dissabled or modified it long ago now that I see how it was wired. It is odd that there is no mention for GT to have an Auto.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Now that's interesting Keith, I've got one of JJ's schematics and there is no neutral safety switch indicated in it. I'm wondering if you could put the auto tranny in gear and start it. Cancel that, I just checked my owner's manual for the 72 GT and it states there is a "Starter Safety Switch" that prevents starter operation while the gear selector is in any drive position for the auto trannies. HTH. But it doesn't answer your original question.

Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts