Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 1st GT and am starting to clean it up. In trying to remove the door panel I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the window crank. Could someone PLEASE help me out here? It's a 1970 GT and I don't expect my service manual to arrive for a couple weeks.

thanks all....

Trapper

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
Go to the auto store and tell them what you are doing and they will sell you a screwdriver like tool. It will remove the clip that is holding the crank on its shaft. When you see how it is done you will see how simple the mechanism is.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
There is a little wire U-clip on the back of the window crank handle that catches a corresponding groove in the splined shaft that it sits on. It's a standard GM design, so you can either buy a GM window crank removing tool, or just slip a flat screwdriver behind the handle and gently push the clip back. You should be able to see from which end the clip is slid on, so push the open end and be careful you don't lose the clip (they tend to pop off).

Installation is easier. Just push the clip into place, and press the crank onto the shaft. It has a tapered end that allows the clip to slide over and into the groove

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I tried the tool designed for the removal and guess since I am left handed and it was designed for right handed people it didm't work too well for me. So I used my wifes surgical forcepts and it worked great. This tool should bo in every ones tool box as it has helped me in many tight situtations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Window crank handle removal

Thought about the method of using cotton cloth. Concept is great! I used a 12" piece of 1/4" nylon rope. Sawing motion arount the back of the handle and the clip poped right out. Thanks to all for the great ideas posted here. I am in the take down phase on my 1971.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,274 Posts
The nice thing about using a rag is that the clip will often times dig into the rag and stick to it when it gets dislodged. Those little clips can sometimes go flying and get lost when they break loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts