Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I posted awhile back on this and now I've actually opened the hood and examined the throttle linkage assembly. Now I have a question that I'd like answered (hopefully) before I break something.

This is what I'm trying to do: raise my throttle pedal higher from the floor so that it lines up closer to the brake pedal.

I can see the throttle linkage coming thru the firewall and at the end of this linkage, there is a vertical rod. Oh, I don't know if this will make a difference but I have a 2.4. This rod is threaded.

This rod is clipped onto the throttle linkage about 2/3rds of the way down the rod. So I have room for adjustment. There is a small cylindrical piece that rides on the threads of the rod. And this is the piece that goes thru a hole in the throttle linkage and is clipped to secure it.

The top of this rod is a ball and socket connection. I'm assuming I can't take this apart since I can't seem to pull it apart. But I'm trying to move the cylindrical piece lower and it just won't budge. I've soaked it in WD40 and still it won't budge. I'm concerned about breaking the ball and socket joint at the top of the rod so maybe I'm just not exerting enough force?

Any of you know what I'm talking about? Should I just torque on the cylindrical piece until it breaks free? I really don't want to break my ball & socket joint at the top of the rod.

Thanks for any advice,

Manny

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Manny, if you can see it, look for 2 little thin metal leafs coming away from the socket hole. If they are there, you should be able to pop it apart. If you don't see it, it may be a pressed fit ball socket. Storming here, but if I can, I'll run out to the garage and get my book (unless someone gives you a better answer in the next couple of hours.

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
Manny,
Each of the ball and socket connections have a small spring wire retainer clip. One end is circular, which clips around the shaft, and the other end is a straight piece, which slides into a hole at the base of the socket. Here's a photo with the spring clip partially removed. Just pop off the spring clip (don't lose it!), and the ball will come out of the socket. HTH

Attachments

·
1,287 Posts
throttle linkage and gas pedal

Hey new to this forum. Here is the deal. 17 years ago I got mad at my gt when the linkage wouldn't work with my new weber. The short I took out the gas pedal, cut a hole in the firewall for a new pedal assembly.

17 years later with my 73gt garaged and neglected----I'm back on the project. I put the old pedal back, am patching the firewall.

Fortunately the old linkage is still near where it belongs. I can't remember how everything gets put back together. Anyone have any pictures of what the placement of the linkage should be from the pedal to the carb.

Thanks for any help

dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.