Title #0Y07NC3177061
Firewall plate #773177061

The firewall plate seem to match the last numbers on the title
by the county clerk said today the the "3" in the title doesn't
fit in here book at the court house. She said the "3" doesn't
exist. I know these thing are rebuilt and reused parts but this
Title number and firewall # have me really confused. I can't get the
car transfered until I get a State Police inspection and a new vin plate,
that's if everything is fine with the Police.

Man O Man, another day with the Opel's

Stanley_P

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Stanley, check to see if the driver's side door has a sticker on it with the Vin #, if it does the local constabulary may take 3 out of 4 and you'll bew able to get it t=registered. HTH.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Bittzer

Those are three distinctly different years of VINs: the title is for a 1973; the dash plate for a 1969/70 and the firewall plate from 1971/72.
The title does not match the car as the firewall plate is the most likely correct one for it. MOst jurisdictions would consider it a collection of possibly stolen parts - and crush it! Sounds like you are dealing with more sensible people. I guess you will have to try and get a new VIN issued but there will always be confusion and questions as long as all those disparate numbers are scattered about the car .....

·
Opeler
54 Posts
I was going to change the dash out as my parts car has a crack free dash. Is it legal to change the vin tag from the one I'm removing to the good one I'm installing?

Rob

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Rob, don't tell anyone but that's what I did to the dash I sent to JustDashes. They requested the VIN tag be removed, so I drilled out the pop rivets and when it came back, I put the refurbished VIN tag on the dash with new painted rivets. What folks don't know can't hurt, sometimes. :eek:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok, I've been down the vin witch hunt trail for a 73, your numbers cowl to title are all good. The OYO7NC are color and motor options once the chassis was built. Your title was done off the original dash but unfurtunately that is the missing piece to this. The cowl and door will start with 77 and no color codes as it had no colors or dash when the # was assigned, only when it was finished did it get the full set of codes and only on the dash. Pull the one off the dash and call it good....quickly.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
rudby said:
I was going to change the dash out as my parts car has a crack free dash. Is it legal to change the vin tag from the one I'm removing to the good one I'm installing?Rob
Well .. As I understand it from trying to import an untitled 1957 Chevy 2-Door some years ago - it is actually a FEDERAL offence! However it is also an offence to have two or more VIN numbers that don't tie up with the title.
Many people would advise you to "tidy-up" the situation as quickly as possible - but I could not possibly comment! ;)

·
478 Posts
Sorry I have some idea what your dealing with.I bought a 4 runner from a friend.It had been stolen from him twice in as many months.When I went to register it they said the dash didn't match"before it was stolen it did."Once again I am sorry.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Yes it's a federal offence to posess a title or tag especially not attached to a vehicle....I was just reading the numbers off my 73 as compared to Thumper...Honest

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This car looks like it was hit at one time on the driver side and I really think that all these parts are from different cars.

Should I try and handle this or Call the PO and let him handle it? Would it be easier for him to get a revised title?

Stanley_P

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If you can Stanley, get at least a certified letter from him that describes the previous damage, to include a new dash and driver's side door. Those are the only "normally" replaceable items that the VIN tag could vary from the tag on the pax side cowl. With that in hand, you may be able to get it registered. Man what a bucket of worms. :rolleyes:

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked with the PO. The work was done to the car before he owned it.
He is trying to find out who had it before him, I told him that probaly wouldn't
matter. He is going to call me back and see if he can get a new or revised title. I'll keep everyone posted. If that doesn't work, I just I'll try and get a new vin # if I can.

Just when you think you found a nice deal..there are none...

Stanley

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
pull the missmatched dash one off and all of them match. ask the last owner if they have the old dash vin for sure. Stan do you have a FSM for that year? Look in the first few pages for proof they didn't do paint codes and such before it was painted and show it to the local motor vehicle. Ok after loosing a GT for this exact situation I'd like to give a piece of advice.GET THAT VIN OFF THE DASH NOW NOT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your looking at federal laws as well as state law violations, please listen.

A bit more poking and prodding and you'll be looking for another car after this one is confiscated. Federal laws don't bend very much, I'm trying to give you a few tips. Ya DMV was so friendly here I finally surrendered the keys rather than fight anymore.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Stan I just looked it up again. To posess a Vehicle identification number not properly assigned to a vehicle is punishable up to 1 year or 50,000 dollars. Fed law requires it to be turned in within 30 days or else. It's one thing to have them but an entirely new ballpark to display or discuss them with the local police.

·
Opeler
68 Posts
Not sure if my German mind is just not compliant here, but I am confused that there is so much authority dealing with punishment of a situation and non offering a solution. Isn't there a "Flensburg" to just talk to - and they figure out what the status of all the numbers is and they tell you which number is having what history.
You get a driver's door from a junkyard, you get a dash from an ebay purchase and so on -history of classic cars is evolving as soon as dealers stop caring and don't provide parts- that's inherent.
Ok - the stolen dash you happen to buy on ebay should raise questions and possible actions -just keep records where you bought it. And now I better stop since I don't want to explore legalities for public offices.

But what can this forum/OMC/regional clubs/anyone do?
A) to help evaluate replacement cost against insurances pricelists from times of the industrial revolution in cases of an accident - happend to me.
B) to keep records of vehicle histories - helpful in cases like this story I read here some time ago where a GT was stolen at a junkyard parink lot..in a broder sense good to overcome the difficulty of interstate regulations public offices are facing (or creating)..or can't spin out of..

·
Opeler
68 Posts
FYI:
Flensburg is a nice town in northern Germany in which a national bureau deals with matters of vehicle licenses and to some extend drivers licences. (KraftfahrBundesAmt)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Stanley_P said:
I talked with the PO. The work was done to the car before he owned it

Stanley
Why not try to do your own title search online try something like

www.dps.state.ky.us
It should be free.

I suspect it had a salvage title at one point. Someone did a radical rebuild then had a simular clean title of a car that became one of the donors because it was smashed way way beyond repair but never made it to the junkyard. Then after passing between a few owners someone tried to get fresh paper and took the numbers which were probably illegible on the document, off the car.

I know this is a wild theory but when my dad was restoring cars as a hobby he ran into some weird situations like this. I remember one car he sawed the front half off and put it on the back half of another one. Same year and model. It ran down the road pretty strait too. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Stan, I collect titles and Vin tags because the state I live in is so harsh about it. I have a 73 set in my hands, title shows 0Y07NC3150395, cowl plate is 773150395, dash is 0Y07NC3150395. What's fishy about changing the dash? Ok stupid for them not to swap tags but that's all. Just take the one off the dash and call it done.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nobody,

Can you take a photo of your plates? I can show them to the
inspector and let them know that these plate and numbers are together.
All I need to do is get a new Vin plate and I think I can get
one from the court house after I get the inspection.

Stanley_P

1 - 20 of 32 Posts