Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have this guy that drives a sec gen rx_7 he is kinda full of him self he makes fun of my car and he knows he can beat me in a race by a long shot i was woundering what i would have to do to even give him a run for his money i have a 73 gt stock i dont have much of a budget but i figure that i shouldnt hold back if i want the car i want i have thought of geting a newer inport but then i foreget it would be that much better when a 73 opel gt puts them in there place that just a dream of mine

·
Administrator
10,213 Posts
Check out the performance forum on this site. There are lots of tips and tricks there. (Use the search feature)

The '73 had the least horsepower of the GT's due to all the de-tuning to reach emissions regs. My '69 moves out pretty good with the mods I did. (flat top pistons, 'autocross' cam, 38 DGAS Weber, ported intake)

·
247 Posts
Tell him it is about style and not speed. How many GT,s are running around roseburg, wait I know the answer, only yours.
Tell him your 30 year old classic has far to much value to risk tearing it up in races. I think it would take LOTS of big money to take out an RX7, put your money where it counts.

DAN,73 Manta

·
Detritus Maximus
2,786 Posts
Does he have a turbo or non-turbo? If you build up one of the 'Legere 2.4's" you should be able to beat a stock non-turbo. I think. Calvin built one, and until he and I can go some place quiet, we won't know which is faster. He's got the motor in a Manta and I have a 2nd gen RX7.

Or, do a rotary swap and refuse to open the hood. Use a 13b and you'll have as much power as him, but with considerably less weight. Just don't expect to hang with him in corners. The 2nd gens have wonderful chassis that make idiots look like they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Let his tyres down." -tarquin. I like that idea. :D

First of all. Adding power to a worn motor is bad. But if your engine is in good shape:

#1 easiest, cheapest and fast method to gain 50 HP. NITRO.

#2 turbo. Use a Garrett turbo off any Dodge/Chrysler 4 cylinder. It'll take some homemade pipes.

Anything else requires some good engine work or an engine swap. Adding over 50 HP may be bad on the drivetrain.

Another idea: Watch "American Graffiti" and get a log chain. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Actually, the next time Y'all meet and he starts raggin' on your 30 year old car. Tell him to com back if/when his Mazda is 30+ years old. Then if it's around, then ask him to race.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
GT-Freak..... i like the idea with the chain like they did in american grafitti!!!!!. if you want a GT that'll beat a RX-7 look in the auto trader, theres one of those 350sbc projects that actually made it!!!!!!they want 9500 for it and i'm sure a 400 horse GT will kill a RX-7! i'm rooting for you cuz i hate japanese rice burners and i'm very picky about the euro cars.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well YOUR GT might not beat him right NOW. But maybe Gil could show up with his monster red, 16V Opel Ralley motor. Just looking at that motor will make the RX-7 guy faint. Especially the fact that is says: O-P-E-L on the valve cover. Check Risse Motorsoprt out on the web, they sell some pretty nice Opel motors. Their most expensive one is about 15 g's tho'.

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?h...=risse+motorsport&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Although I like the 30 year old idea too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
notavette - Where did you get the body kit? How much (if you don't mind)? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How easy/hard is it to install?

Thanks...

·
Registered
521 Posts
The "kit" was from OpelGTSource.com. Wasn't really a kit. It's the Steinmetz flares ($320) and the front "matching" airdam ($120). If you look REAL close you can see the spoiler. It's the one RallyBob used to sell thru C&R Small Cars. You can still find them around...I got mine for $80.

The flares are not easy to install. They require a bit of bodywork (cutting fenders) so the wider wheels clear. I have 15x10 in the back and 15x9 up front. The flares as you see them on my thumbnail photo are just "tacked" on with sheetmetal screws. They are simply being fitted for position. I plan to rivet them on like the Conrero racing GT's of the 70's. In fact, I plan to make a loose replica of the red Conrero GT, with decals and everything. Moulding them in requires a bit of extensive bodywork. I have heard as high as $4000. I don't know what that included. Maybe it included paint. I don't know. I do know it'd be expen$ive. I have detailed pictures of the body and flares up close if your interested in seeing what they look like before any bodywork is done.

Even though I'll just be riveting them on, I'll still need to clean the panels up quite a bit so the lay perfectly flat against the body. These are not "finished" flares/panels like you see on the Honda's. It's pretty raw fiberglass.

The ONLY thing I don't like is the front flares don't radius the wheels all the way back. I'd have to show you a pic to explain. They sorta lay back behind the front wheel. Lot of open space. I'll probably add some fiberglass to close the gap a little.

Check out my pics (only 2 now) in the "members photos" under Notavette.

~kyle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts