Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm happy to say most of the car is red. The doors and flares still need painting.

The photos don't do the paint justice at all. The guy who painted did an outstanding job.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
Awesome Kyle, been waiting to see that car in red for some time....can't wait to see the flares on it!

But that puny exhaust has got to go!

Bob

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, yea....it's all getting ripped out. That was the original system. I have a 2 1/2" down pipe that will probably go 2" all they way back. Actually, since the motor may be going in soon...we might be able to put the exhaust on also. Any suggestions for a muffler to use? And pipe diameter?

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
You have a 2.2 with dual Webers, right? You can use a 2.5" exhaust front to back, any less and you'll be restricting it. Better use two mufflers or it will be loud though....

I've really liked the results I've had with Magnaflow mufflers. Get the biggest that will fit under the car. Toughest fit is the rear resonator, I have a design for a high flow rear muffler, but it will be hand-made and therefore costly to build.

·
648 Posts
Very nice shade of red. What color, brand and type of paint is it?
Jc

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RallyBob said:
You have a 2.2 with dual Webers, right? You can use a 2.5" exhaust front to back, any less and you'll be restricting it. Better use two mufflers or it will be loud though....

I've really liked the results I've had with Magnaflow mufflers. Get the biggest that will fit under the car. Toughest fit is the rear resonator, I have a design for a high flow rear muffler, but it will be hand-made and therefore costly to build.

Yea, wow...2.5 all the way back? ok... 2 mufflers in tandum? Do I have to use a resonator?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RallyBob said:

Is there a magnaflow model number I can look for for dual mufflers...?

·
Super Moderator
13,840 Posts
Magnaflow literally has hundreds of mufflers to choose from, and I haven't looking into fitment into a GT. Has anyone else?

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
The 4" round stainless Magnaflow fits reasonably well in front of the rear axle. I'm also running another 4" behind the axle to help keep the neighbors happy, but the fit is horrible.

-Travis

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
love the paint job did u pull the windows when it was painted? and why not leave the doors on? does it have a clear coat over it? great paint job.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pvcar said:
love the paint job did u pull the windows when it was painted? and why not leave the doors on? does it have a clear coat over it? great paint job.

No, the windows wern't pulled. (except for the 1/4 windows) What we did was simply cut the rubber trim around the windows up to the crease. This allows for easy masking of the area since the interior is still basically in it...and cause less mess.

Yes, there is a clear coat. The doors came off for easy prep work on a bench. And easy access to the door jambs for painting. The guy who did the job is very experienced in auto restoration. I didn't protest any of his ideas. He just recently finished a ground up restoration of a 57' Chevy that was just appraised at $125,000. I didn't have much room to argue I guess. :)

While it was up at his farm, he was saying people would come up from the street and ask what it was, make offers on the spot or just talk about it. I thought that was pretty cool. He said he could have easily sold it for me many times.

·
Opel gone bad
108 Posts
How much for the total paint job?

did he do body work and the paint? It looks fantastic! The wheels look nice and beefy too!! good work!

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
my eyes are playing tricks

that paint looks great, so do those rims!! are my eyes playing tricks on me or are those front fenders cut? or is it just a glare? it looks like a hunk is missing. but it looks like it was made that way. so it is probably a glare. keep up the good work on the restoration..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Nope, the glare isn't playing tricks on you. The front and back fenders are cut. That is a direct result of what needs to be cut off to fit wider (9" in front 10" in back) tires on the car. Without doing it the wheels would easily rub on the old fender lines. What your seeing of course is what it looks like without the Steinmetz fender flares (like on Gil's car @ Opel GT Source)

The flares and doors are still getting painted. Yes, the painter did the body prep too. It has cost me about $2800 so far for the paint/body prep.

The tire sizes are: 225x15x9 and 265x15x10, Dunlop GT Qualifiers. Currently 1 of only 2 sources that makes tires wide enough to fit 15x10's. It really needs 285's in back!

You can see a few more photos in red at www.opelgtmotorsport.com. And a few older primer photos with the flares on along with some more history of the car. Goto PROJECT(s) 1

~kyle

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 more step closer. The car is still in the air on the lift. I was on a ladder at night taking pictures just before I left for home. I will return tomarrow for more pics and start fitting a few items on the motor before it gets towed back home.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
A testarossa I see, are those Cannons on it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts