Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
Sorry Dave, I can't go there...I'm not a member.

·
315 Posts
I hope I don't insult someone here... ok maybe they need to be insulted. This is a very BAD space frame design. Almost every thing that can be done wrong is done wrong many times. Almost nothing is done right. This chassis is certain to be a flexy-flier.

The suspension also looks bad. There will be very bad bump steer at both the front and the rear. I also think the camber gain will be weird at both ends... especially the rear.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think anyone here will be insulted I got it of the MR2 board

of course i see all the same things you see like the upper A-arms seem to long

not much triangulation in the frame I almost said something.

then i remembered my recent visit to TX i asked another Opeler to help my with my race GT (get it off the trailer and push it back into storage) when we where done i said hey want to sit in the car the seating position is just great

He hops in and starts reading me the riot act about every thing thats wrong with the car (or i should say cage)

i finally said i did the best i could. the cage builder did not do what i said or asked I know all the problems, But hey i said i like how the seat came out.

pretty depressed after that.

maybe this guy is doing the best he can he said its for the street not race

its a hot rod he says uses Chevett front steering knuckles

i thought that was cool

david

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
It's too bad really, he DID put a lot of time into it, you can't build a ground-up chassis without investing a ton of time. But TGSI is right, very little of that time was spent investigating appropriate current racing practices.

In fact, the chassis looks like a cross between a drag-racer and a mid-60's road racing ladder-type frame (think Shelby Cobra).

But judging by the tire choice, it appears the guy has road-racing on his mind. Boy, is he gonna be chasing tuning problems....

Bob

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I know nothing about the geometry and such for handling or the flex. BUT, I'd be afraid that one or more of those welds would pop under pressure or torque.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Looks like one of those boxy dirt track circle racers. I don't like some of those corner stress points. I was a air frame stuctural mech in the A.Force, which is qiute a bit diff from the road racing, but I got to with R.Bob and TG also. His laterals are gonna get alittle twisty, I'm thinking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts