Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was in High School my dad gave me the Opel Kadett that Mom had burnt up the engine in. Being a kid with very little money I scrimped on the rebuild and didn't put new cam bearings. As a result it held very poor oil pressure when it was hot. So, I kept putting washers behind the oil pump bypass spring to jack up the pressure. When it was cold it would pump out 80 psi or better, hot it was down to about 15psi. One winter night I jumped in it and headed out for a date. I was late and the weather was cold.... I never noticed the oil pressure until I heard a load "POP" about a 1/4 mile down the road from home. I then saw 0 psi. I shut it down immediately and stopped the car. Behind it I saw a solid trail or oil for about 100 yards. Upon closer inspection I found that the oil filter (spin-on) had exploded and the entire filter can was gone. I'll never know how high the pressure was but it had to be pretty good to blow-up a filter.

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
Been there, Done that.
well, I only blew out the o-ring and the filter was still useable.

Please don't make me admit to the time I forgot to tighten down the oil pan plug on 72acgt's former 69 Gt.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"former 69 GT" that just sounds bad!

This poor opel had brakes that leaked fluid so bad I gave up on brake fluid and just filled the system with water. Hey, water won't compress either and this was southwest Louisiana, it almost never freezes.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
hey ive seen when an oil filter gets put on and the old o-ring is there and when they go to start the car oil goes every where.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
399 Posts
pvcar said:
hey ive seen when an oil filter gets put on and the old o-ring is there and when they go to start the car oil goes every where.
Hey that happened to one of our cust. who wanted to save some cash on a oil change. She went to a local discount quick change shop and they forgot to remove the old "o" ring on her 300SD. And you know what happend.

6 grand later a motor shows up from southern germany. The car runs fine now we see it every 3 thousand miles.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
a 300sd u say is that filter go from the top side of the engine right it has the two o-rings that little one ands the big one, ive done oil changes on several benz u would have to be some idiot to not notice thos seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts