Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manta Temp

My temp guage was right underneath the red mark today. It was HUMID and HOT but I have never seen it go THAT high before.

It usually sits right above 3/4 temp and falls to just above 1/2 mark once in a while.

Is there anything to help the cooling of this motor even more? Or is my temp sensor just going bad?

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
I like to see the gauge at 1/2 to 5/8 on the scale. Above 3/4 I'll shut the car down or risk cracking a cylinder head!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Possibilities

For some unknown reason, Opel gages tend to be overly sensitive to voltage, and as voltage lowers the temp gage reads higher and the fuel gage reads lower. Maybe the motor is fine and the alternator is going?
Anothe possibility is the dash instrument voltage regulator, which also tends to fail.

For both, get the car up to temp and kick on the headlights. If the ghages move a lot it may be time to work on the electrical system.

I do have a couple of extra 60 amp GM alternators...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cars that sit a while are notorious for developing cooling system blockages after you start using them again. The reason for this is the hardness of the water used (calcium carbonate) begins to drop out of solution. When you fire 'er up again, the material gets knocked loose and literally 'clogs' the radiator.

There is a great product out there called Rydlime (rydlyme?) developed for cleaning heat exchangers on WWII Navy ships. It won't attack the radiator or the engine block but will do a 100% effective job of cleaning the system while remaining biodegradable.

You can't buy it in stores, tho...Do a Web search and it should pop up, along with a distributor in your area. It used to run about $10/gallon - a LOT cheaper than a new radiator!

Watch out for leaks afterwards, tho...old radiators have a nasty habit of leaking after cleaning. I have a solution for this, too...Tell ya next time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts