Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Youngest Opel Record Holder!
2,582 Posts
That is pretty cool! Where would you even find that book at nowadays?

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I just realized that that book is circa 1937, right on the eve of the Big War. I'll bet they didn't sell too many of those.

It's interesting how some books that are highly detailed and comprehensive are now hopelessly outdated. I have 3 books like that. I trash picked 2 books on my street, one was a comprehensive retrospective on Vaudeville actors. Vaudeville was basically a type of live entertainment before the advent of movies, radio, and television. Bands of actors, singers, comedy acts, etc. would travel around the country putting on shows. It's chock full of glamorous pictures of famous Vaudvillians that no one nowadays have ever heard of.

The other trash picked book is utterly fascinating to me, it's a fat tome about making jewelry and art pieces using hundreds of various metallurgical techniques. It's so dense full of cool processes and tools that I almost can't describe it. It's from the late 40's/50's, when the "Do It Yourself" era took off. Books about how to build your own house and boats and other contraptions proliferated. I'll dig the book out and take some pics, some of the guys currently working in foundries and such and making custom FI and turbo stuff might be interested in taking it off my hands......for free.

The 3rd book is a family heirloom and could possibly be worth a fortune. It was printed in 1656 and has block prints of various large, water, human, and animal driven, mechanical devices that are reminiscent of windmill technology, plus primitive water pumping devices. It is apparently an Italian engineering text book with all sort of pics that look like the sketches done by Michael Angelo.

It was war booty collected by my mother's 2nd husband, who was a Russian general, as they marched through Poland and Germany. He was one of the 7 generals involved with the infamous Katyn Forrest Massacre. For those unaware, the opening salvo of WW2 was when the Germans blitzkrieged Poland and took it over in just days/weeks. The Poles charged the tanks on horseback. It didn't go well and 10's of thousands of Polish troops had to surrender and ended up in concentration camps and forced labor. This also included thousands of Polish officers and other high ranking people. They were kept in a separate prison from the rank and file, presumably to keep them from stirring up trouble and uprisings amongst the troops. They stayed locked up through the whole war. When the Russians came through, they liberated the prisons, but they also didn't want to let the officer class free to stir up trouble and uprisings, because they had their own designs to absorb Poland, so the order came in from Moscow to "get rid of them". So they took the thousands of officers out into the forest and gunned them down, then buried them in big pits.

Me and my brothers inherited some looted books and oil paintings. I was the mechanically inclined guy, so I got the engineering book and a signed original copy of "Mein Kampf". My very religious brother ended up with a Gutenberg bible, those are worth a million or more these days.

Here's some pics of my book. They're most interesting aspect is that the devices are from the time before precision made gears were commonplace. Almost all the devices are made from wood and used wood pegs instead of the gear teeth we use nowadays. :

Book Font Art Publication Wood

Font Art Book Publication Illustration

Art Line Font Engineering Drawing

Book Font Art Wood Illustration

Book Art Font Publication Art book

Book Font Art Publication Art book

Book Font Publication Art Handwriting

Book Art Publication Font Illustration

Book Publication Art Font Illustration

· Registered
Youngest Opel Record Holder!
2,582 Posts
Wow, I just realized that that book is circa 1937, right on the eve of the Big War. I'll bet they didn't sell too many of those.

It's interesting how some books that are highly detailed and comprehensive are now hopelessly outdated. I have 3 books like that. I trash picked 2 books on my street, one was a comprehensive retrospective on Vaudeville actors. Vaudeville was basically a type of live entertainment before the advent of movies, radio, and television. Bands of actors, singers, comedy acts, etc. would travel around the country putting on shows. It's chock full of glamorous pictures of famous Vaudvillians that no one nowadays have ever heard of.

The other trash picked book is utterly fascinating to me, it's a fat tome about making jewelry and art pieces using hundreds of various metallurgical techniques. It's so dense full of cool processes and tools that I almost can't describe it. It's from the late 40's/50's, when the "Do It Yourself" era took off. Books about how to build your own house and boats and other contraptions proliferated. I'll dig the book out and take some pics, some of the guys currently working in foundries and such and making custom FI and turbo stuff might be interested in taking it off my hands......for free.

The 3rd book is a family heirloom and could possibly be worth a fortune. It was printed in 1656 and has block prints of various large, water, human, and animal driven, mechanical devices that are reminiscent of windmill technology, plus primitive water pumping devices. It is apparently an Italian engineering text book with all sort of pics that look like the sketches done by Michael Angelo.

It was war booty collected by my mother's 2nd husband, who was a Russian general, as they marched through Poland and Germany. He was one of the 7 generals involved with the infamous Katyn Forrest Massacre. For those unaware, the opening salvo of WW2 was when the Germans blitzkrieged Poland and took it over in just days/weeks. The Poles charged the tanks on horseback. It didn't go well and 10's of thousands of Polish troops had to surrender and ended up in concentration camps and forced labor. This also included thousands of Polish officers and other high ranking people. They were kept in a separate prison from the rank and file, presumably to keep them from stirring up trouble and uprisings amongst the troops. They stayed locked up through the whole war. When the Russians came through, they liberated the prisons, but they also didn't want to let the officer class free to stir up trouble and uprisings, because they had their own designs to absorb Poland, so the order came in from Moscow to "get rid of them". So they took the thousands of officers out into the forest and gunned them down, then buried them in big pits.

Me and my brothers inherited some looted books and oil paintings. I was the mechanically inclined guy, so I got the engineering book and a signed original copy of "Mein Kampf". My very religious brother ended up with a Gutenberg bible, those are worth a million or more these days.

Here's some pics of my book. They're most interesting aspect is that the devices are from the time before precision made gears were commonplace. Almost all the devices are made from wood and used wood pegs instead of the gear teeth we use nowadays. :

View attachment 451095

View attachment 451096

View attachment 451097

View attachment 451098

View attachment 451099

View attachment 451100

View attachment 451101

View attachment 451102

View attachment 451103
Wow that is pretty neat! My grandpa has some older books and some pretty old Bibles too. My oldest book is a Christopher Columbus book from like 1889 if I remember correctly.

• Love
Reactions: The Scifi Guy

· Someone here finds me offensive
73 GT 1.9 manual fire glow orange drivetrain trimmed in dark metallic copper over satin black yippie
2,930 Posts
I'll be darned, As I'm sure you can tell, I can't decipher that one either.
But I'm great reading pictures LOL

· Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,825 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts