Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Opeler
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a new(ish) engine in my 71' GT. Also I have the old 4 speed transmission, and the Webber carbs. So here is my dilema....I am trying to decide whether or not to sell the 1.9, which was running just fine, or to actually take a stab at cleaning the motor, getting it all nicey nice, learning some stuff in the process, and holding onto it for possible insertion back into my 71' or another one?

So would someone like to tell me what I would be in for to get this engine all going again? Also, what kind of device would one use/get to raise the engine up so that it is easily worked upon?

Thanks

Paulie / roosterrusek

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
paulie its a case of how long is a piece of string !!
how much can you spend as something like an engine stand is a fair chunk of money,
ive been working on cars for 30 odd years and cant justify the cost for what i do so i use a bench
i do think an engine hoist is a nessesery item so made 1 one evening at work
and got an old chain block to work it
as to what you would have to do to get it working
what is missing from it as that will all need to be put back after that it should run :D

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Paulie;
Go to Harbor Freight, and get and engine stand, it'll be about $50-75 and if you have a good stout beam, I have two come-alongs that can lift it up onto the stand. You can borrow either one. Or if you want to do it quicker, you mount the end piece from the stand on the block and get about 3 guys to lift it into the holder part of the stand.
Gene

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Baz, here in the states there is a company called Harbor Freight. If you watch the sales you can get a cherry picker hoist and motor stand both for under 200. Well worth the investment if your going to do this more than once. If they have a big store in your area be sure to take a friend that can pull you back from a parts washer and a press and bead blast cabinet and air compressor or all sorts of things.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
dave i will have a look in the fall when im over :D sure i can find a container co who deliver to my door cheapest 1 ive seen here that will hold an engine good is $180 , i can get 1 for $75 but they wobble with a plastic display engine on !!!!

now to surf there site for ones in florida lol

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
just been to the site and I WANT I WANT I WANT :eek:
we have a company called
www.machinemart.co.uk
and they do similar kinds of stuff but if you look you can see the difference(times all higher prices by 2 to get dollers after tax )
now i know why i see well equiped garages in photos here :(

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Every year at Carlisle "Creemo's "(sp?) get a chunk of my US$ for new garage toys....if I remember rightly it was about $25-$30 one year for engine stands, I bought 2 and have a 2.0CIH on one and a 3.1V6 on the other...both rock solid.... :)

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Baz;
There's a Harbor Freight just up the road from me here in Jawja, you want a stand? ;)

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
gene i will need to find out how much weight for shipping and would need to get the 1000lb one for my v12 but keep that idea on your mind for a while :D

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
yes Baz you saw the motor heads paradise, I'll admit I'm bad shopping there. I knew I had a problem when I went through there and the craftsman department at Sears in the same day and found nothing I wanted that I didn't already have. I'm a tool junkie....and proud of it.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
my lady says theres no way im allowed in sears even shes heard of them :D

just wait till she sees how much white goods cost and wants a 240-110 volt transformer in the container with every thing i want and her new kitchen :D

·
1,973 Posts
There is always this method of supporting an engine either in the car, or out of it (overkill either way :D )

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Baz,

You may need more than the 1000# stand for a V12. The weight limit I'm sure is fine, a little thing called leverage may up your requirements. The longer the engine the more strain it is going to put on the stand.

Harold

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
hrcollinsjr said:
Baz,

You may need more than the 1000# stand for a V12. The weight limit I'm sure is fine, a little thing called leverage may up your requirements. The longer the engine the more strain it is going to put on the stand.

Harold
hi harold i was thinking of the 1000lb because the v12 is around 700lb so i have a good margin the engine is 36" long so thats the limit as most of it needs to be inside the front wheels

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
dont think i will go the VW way though :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Baz,

The Viper engine is a V10 and displacement is probably more than your V12 but not as smooth. It is my understanding that a V12 is the most inherently balanced engine produced. Chrysler has basically used the same V engines for the last few years varying displacement by adding or removing a pair of cylinders. It allows them to use common engine parts, ie. water pump, pistons, con rods, etc.

Harold

·
Registered
127 Posts
ok, u need is a floor jack, 4 jack stands, an engine hoist, and an engine stand. Unbolt almost everything, put the chain on the motor from the hoist, unbolt the crossmember, and slowly let the motor drop out of the bottom of the car. Um....as far as buying or keeping, u must mean buying a fully assembled engine instead of just a block. I dont know how much a used 1.9 runs for, but if it were me, i think i would just build the old one. Just ask around, try to find a local mechanic who knows about opels, giv him your block, and let him go to work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts