Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
holley verses weber

both are 32/36...will they both fit an opel?

i see the holleys on ebay..will they work too?

what is wrong with a manual choke version?

thanks

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
2,787 Posts
I think the fuel inlet and choke assembly are on the opposite side from where they need to be. Plus, the linkage is on the side, not the back (well, towards the rear of the car.

And I remember a discussion about them before and someone said the primary and secondary barrels are switched. Leads to some sort of leaning out on a couple cylinders.

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
The DFAV is a "Ford" (aka Pinto/Cortina/Capri etc) style carb, and as opelbits has said, the primary venturi is on the "inboard" (versus "outboard") side when the linkage faces to the rear, and rotates in the opposite direction. And the water choke is also inboard, so it's a bit tight for the water hose connections.

Wisdom (aka RallyBob) says that the inboard primary throat can cause leaning out of the #'s 2 & 3 cylinders. My personal experience (with a 32 DFM, same basic carb but manual choke and both throats are 32 mm) that I ran for 50,000 miles, indicated it worked FAR better than the stock Solex. I never burned any valves or sustained other lean-condition damage, in spite of many high speed and "spirited" miles. I might have had it jetted a bit rich, but it returned excellent gas mileage (routinely over 30 mpg).

But the linkage connection is a bit problematic, as it requires the stock linkage to be angled inboard, and the bell lever reversed, to enable the linkage rod to rotate in the opposite direction, and I had to fabricate an offset lever pin. Now that I know what I know, I had upgraded to a 32/36 DGAV. And I recently bought a new 38 DGAS for my soon-to-be upgraded GT engine (ported manifold, flat top forged pistons thanks to RallyBob, and a "Combination" cam from OGTS (.430" lift, 268 duration). Zoom zoom...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts