Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
3,105 Posts
If I was determined to convert to LED, spending the extra would be worth it to not have the horrible looking LED headlight replacements out there. They don't look good in the modern cars either. Reminds me of The Fly...

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've been running LED headlights for the last several years because they work better then anything else out there. I don't care what they look like because I don't have them open in the daytime and you can't see what they look like when they are on at night.

·
Opeler
3,143 Posts
Looks like old school headlights, but $199.95 each / on sale.
Check out their video on website.

Tableware Automotive lighting Grey Silver Font
Gold Amber Automotive lighting Lighting Font
Rectangle Font Wood Gadget Display device

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
I don’t think the price will come down. Holley priced it competitively compared to other options out there. I tried to come up with my own solution and it would cost $160. Just buying from someone like Dapper Lighting, their OE7 with the vintage lenses is $300.

Not all 7” round LED options are DOT approved and these were made with Morimoto which is the leading aftermarket company in LED headlights. Holley joined the game with the intent to be better than anything else you can buy, and $200 is reasonable for this. I’ve also never seen a classic white option, which I almost like more.

·
Opeler
3,143 Posts
Classis White headlights are 1550 LUX and Modern White are 1970 LUX. Stock Halogens are 490 LUX. Thinking that Classic White would not be too bright and provide less glare/ reflections in rain or fog than Modern White. Sorry no snow in the lowlands of San Diego. Maybe, there are too many freeways.
  • TECH SPECS (Note: Not sure of the different power ratings?)
  • INTENSITY: 32,000 candela (Low), 53,000 candela (High)
  • POWER: 20w (Low), 35w (High)
  • LUMINOUS FLUX: 2,000lm (low), 3000lm (high)
  • INPUT: H4 3 pin,
  • INPUT VOLTAGE: 9-18V DC
  • POWER: 25W (low), 30W (high)
  • TRAFFIC PATTERN: LHD Only
  • MATERIAL: Cast Aluminum (Housing), UV treated Polycarbonate (Lens)
  • LIGHT SOURCE: Philips Lumileds ZES 3000K (Classic White) or ZES 5700K (Modern White)

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,805 Posts
30W on high beam and 25W on low....pretty nice.
At 12 volts, that works out to 2.5 amps on high beam and 2 amps on low beam. So, the low amp draw is nice. It's only a matter of time before I buy a set of these. I hadn't liked what other companies offered as a packaged deal until now. Using the housing for the needed cooling was really smart. Looking at the photos, I believe these headlights also make it possible to have either DRLs or indicators as part of the headlamp. There is a hole in these lights that I can't tell what it is for.

·
Opeler
950 Posts
Classis White headlights are 1550 LUX and Modern White are 1970 LUX. Stock Halogens are 490 LUX. Thinking that Classic White would not be too bright and provide less glare/ reflections in rain or fog than Modern White. Sorry no snow in the lowlands of San Diego. Maybe, there are too many freeways.
  • TECH SPECS (Note: Not sure of the different power ratings?)
  • INTENSITY: 32,000 candela (Low), 53,000 candela (High)
  • POWER: 20w (Low), 35w (High)
  • LUMINOUS FLUX: 2,000lm (low), 3000lm (high)
  • INPUT: H4 3 pin,
  • INPUT VOLTAGE: 9-18V DC
  • POWER: 25W (low), 30W (high)
  • TRAFFIC PATTERN: LHD Only
  • MATERIAL: Cast Aluminum (Housing), UV treated Polycarbonate (Lens)
  • LIGHT SOURCE: Philips Lumileds ZES 3000K (Classic White) or ZES 5700K (Modern White)

Thanks for posting, Black Friday deal is a nice discount!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,702 Posts
At 12 volts, that works out to 2.5 amps on high beam and 2 amps on low beam. So, the low amp draw is nice. It's only a matter of time before I buy a set of these. I hadn't liked what other companies offered as a packaged deal until now. Using the housing for the needed cooling was really smart. Looking at the photos, I believe these headlights also make it possible to have either DRLs or indicators as part of the headlamp. There is a hole in these lights that I can't tell what it is for.
20W at 12VDC is 1.6666 Amps, 35W at 12VDC is 2.92 Amps. That's really low power usage, almost everything in a stock GT uses more power than that. Good upgrade. That extra hole might be for adding a color accent bulb. I have some Halogen headlights that have an extra small blue bulb built into them to tint the light.

I bought some mini 2.5" LED headlights for my project car, they are in the exact same holding device as the HID headlights in my GTX car, except that they have a built in cooling fan and use only one bulb with a flap at the top for hi/lo beam function. Be aware that the light from both LED and HID headlights are rather harsh.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,511 Posts
I believe these headlights also make it possible to have either DRLs or indicators as part of the headlamp. There is a hole in these lights that I can't tell what it is for.
European-style 5 Watt parking light.

Dieter

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,308 Posts
Be aware that the light from both LED and HID headlights are rather harsh.
I assume that is one reason to offer the 3000K light temperature version, with the older, lower light temperature.

I like the good upper cutoff of the low beam on these units. There are a lot of crappy lights out there now that throw the light everywhere, including into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've been running LED headlights for the last several years because they work better then anything else out there. I don't care what they look like because I don't have them open in the daytime and you can't see what they look like when they are on at night.
So Ron, what LED headlights are you using?

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
I used to run my GT with MK 2 VW Golf /Rabbit H4 lenses in, direct replacement for the GT they looked stock almost and would take the new LED lamps with ease. That should be a simple cheap ( and we all know how we Opelers love cheap) upgrade.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts