Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has never happened to me in 25 years of Opeling....

Took Maggie the Opel (1972 Ascona) outta storage last nite. She had a bad waterpump; swapped in a fresh one from opelgtsource.

Maggie was runnin GREAT this AM, so I decided to take her out on the freeway to check the cooling system (flush and fill with new coolant). Off we went - spooling the little powder blue bomb above 90 MPH on several occasions. She's running much stronger than last year for some reason - could be the rings have re-seated after her extended storage. I had gone thru everything last fall and rechecked things B4 hitting the road this year.

Anyway, some folks from work wanted a ride in Maggie at lunch. Went to back outta the parking spot when I hear a BANG! followed by this horrid grinding noise - like metal on pavement.

Get out of the car, and:

The driver side control arm is broken off at the subframe pivot, and the arm is augured into the pavement.

Sheesh.

Turns out the 30+ year old bushings developed enough play in them to stress the control arm. Over time, the stress caused the arm to crack at the pivot; eventually enough for a total complete failure.

I'd play the lottery today - but I think I've been handed enough luck already. All I can see is me *attempting* to keep Maggie pointed straight ahead in 80+ MPH bumper-to-bumper Motor City Madhouse traffic. Woulda been very messy - it's hard to color match powder blue.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,105 Posts
There are a couple places for stress fractures on Mantas. I had a nice crack going on the subframe arm that goes from the subframe to the chassis under the pedal area. Bent a control once, and had a lower balljoint shear off. That was fun!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts